THE OFFICE Super Bowl Episode is a Touchdown!!
January 28, 2009 by Kath Skerry
UPDATE: Now that the episode has aired, if you would like to join in and discuss your thoughts on tonight’s episode, then check out the most recent post here: THE OFFICE Super Bowl Episode – Favorite Moments]
If you’re taking bets in your football pool on Super Bowl Sunday, put your money on THE OFFICE. It’s a sure thing.
I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t been overwhelmed with this season of THE OFFICE. We’ve talked about this. At times I’ve felt that the show has had a hard time finding the funny. But in this episode the writers found the funny, faked a reverse, and then handed it off to the actors who took it into the end zone without ever looking back. Touchdown!! At the end of the hour I was doing my own victory dance.
With the post Super Bowl episode of a show attracting tens of millions of people, THE OFFICE is going to have a lot more eyes on Sunday. The biggest audience it’s ever had. And for those people new to our show, I think they’re going to have a good laugh at the expense of the Dunder Mifflinites. But it’s not the newbies that I want to talk to. No, it’s those of you who have been fans all along, some of us from the very first episode. What can I say to YOU that will let you know how much I enjoyed this episode?! Well, here it goes….the Super Bowl episode of THE OFFICE felt like something we would have seen in Season 2. How’s that? Are you picking up what I’m putting down people? I liked it…I really liked it!!
THE OFFICE is at its very best when the entire cast is given the opportunity to shine, and this particular episode casts a special light on each of our trusty paper pushing friends. The writers cleverly introduced each and every character to a potentially new audience in a way that doesn’t betray long time fans. For us, knowing the characters like we do, only adds to the humor of the moment.
The writing is tight, the acting is spot on and it’s got just a little bit of everything that makes THE OFFICE so fantastic!
As for what actually happens in the episode, well, you know it’s not my style to spoil you and take away the fun, but a little teasing won’t hurt, right?
Dwight takes one his power trips too far resulting in a serious injury of someone in the Dunder Mifflin family. When Corporate gets involved in the matter, Michael realizes that things might have been taken a bit too far. Trying to regain control of his office, Michael uses various techniques to get his employees to destress during the work day. But when Michael realizes he is to blame for some of the office malfeasances, he takes it upon himself to organize a roast, at his own expense, to blow off steam.
Jim and Pam deal with some issues in their personal lives that test the strength of their relationship.
A few other teasers to get you through to Sunday…
- First off, the cold opener had me howling it was so damn funny. I’m talking tears coming down my face funny. It is probably one of the most physically demanding scenes we’ve even seen on the show.
- Dwight being Dwight lands Dwight in some deep Schrute with Corporate. Tsk. Tsk.
- Be prepared for not one but two group sing-alongs!
- We learn that Angela weighs only 82 lbs.
- Jim and Pam have some tough stuff to deal with and there are a few serious “uh oh” moments that might have fans of these twosome holding their breath.
- We see someone whom we’ve never seen before.
- PETA may have something to say about it, but there is one scene that is so funny that I’ve watched it 15 times in a row.
- Get ready for an OFFICE flashback. (No, this isn’t LOST).
- If you were nervous that the special guest stars were going to detract from the episode. Don’t worry – they don’t. I don’t know that they add anything either, though. They aren’t that funny, but the in-office storyline that surrounds their appearance is.
- Angela Martin makes everyone laugh…on purpose.
- Jim Halpert once again proves he’s the best fake TV boyfriend working at a fictional paper company ever!
- You might never look at an iPod Shuffle in the same way again. I know I never will.
I hope that’s enough to get you excited for Sunday’s Super Bowl episode of THE OFFICE. This is a really big honor for the show, and NBC is expecting big things. Please remember to tell everyone to stay tuned after the game to watch it. Don’t forget. It’s going to be on later than usual, but it’s so very much worth the wait.
Here are a few sneak peek vids courtesy of Watch with Kristin to get you excited. But if you have the willpower to hold off, then I suggest just waiting to see the episode on Sunday. It will make it all the better.