CHUCK vs. The Network Pick Up – It’s CHUCK Week on GMMR | Give Me My Remote

CHUCK vs. The Network Pick Up – It’s CHUCK Week on GMMR

April 6, 2009 by

It’s Monday. The weekend is over. It’s back to the grind. You’ve got a full week ahead of you before the weekend arrives again. Things look gloomy, but then you remember…Chuck.

In only its second year, CHUCK has made its way on to the list of my favorite TV shows – ever. In my jam packed weekly TV lineup, CHUCK is one of the brightest spots. It’s one of only two shows on television that is 100% must see appointment TV for me.  No going out on CHUCK nights. The DVR can’t be trusted.

It was Spring two years ago when I got an early screener of the premiere of CHUCK. By the end of the summer I think I had seen it 9 or 10 times. When my friends asked what was worth watching in the Fall of 2007, CHUCK was at the top of the list. I was a fan from the start. But somewhere along the way, and I’m not sure when this happened, I realized that CHUCK was one of those shows that made TV worth watching. I was hooked, and I mean hooked. Hooked as in when there was a rerun on Monday my day was just a little bit darker. Hooked as in found myself scouring the web reading anything and everything about the show. Hooked as I found myself keeping a DVR full of old episodes so I could watch them over and over again.

TV is subjective. You like what you like.  But much like FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, I really feel like CHUCK is one of those shows that would appeal to everyone, given the chance. It’s truly unlike anything else on TV today.  The mix of comedy, drama and romance offers something for everyone.  The writing is sharp. The acting is woefully overlooked, but off the charts good. CHUCK has so much going for it…except the ratings.

With so much working for the show, what’s working against it? The time slot. The #1 reason people give me for not watching the show is the time slot. I mean there are an insane amount of incredible shows all airing at that same time (curse you networks!). But here’s the deal. I watch ALL the same shows you do. I watch ‘Big Bang’, ‘HIMYM’, ‘House’, ‘Greek’ and  ‘Gossip Girl’.  And all of those shows are appointment TV for me. Some of my very favorite shows on TV. I never miss an episode. But you know what?  As much as I adore every single one of those shows, CHUCK is the one that I watch LIVE. It’s my favorite of the bunch, and if you know me then you get how big that is given my love for the competition.

That’s why I’m writing this today – the ratings. With only a few episodes left in the season, NBC has yet to pick up CHUCK for Season 3. It’s getting close to decision time and we the fans need to give NBC a little incentive.  We need to let them know we care.  Fan campaigns are great and I would never discourage anyone from doing what they can to let NBC how much they love CHUCK, but I honestly think nothing gets the attention of the network more than butts in seats…eyeballs on the screen.

I don’t know about you but I’m sick and tired of all my favorite shows getting canceled. We invest our time into these shows, storylines and characters only to have them taken away well before their time. So to that end, I’m declaring this week CHUCK Week on GiveMeMyRemote.com. Every day this week (and probably a few times a day), we’ll be posting news, reviews, videos and anything else we think might convince you to give CHUCK a shot. It’s going to be a CHUCK overload, and some might not be happy, but I’ve got this blog and I need to take it out for a spin.  Let’s see if we can’t get a few more of you watching this fantastic show.

I’m not silly enough to think I can do it on my own.  I’ve reached out to many of your favorite TV blogs and they too will be taking a special look at CHUCK this week.  We all will be doing out part to get newbies watching Monday nights at 8/7c. I’ll be posting links to their posts all throughout the week. Just click on “CHUCK vs. The Network Pick Up…Inside the Intersect” box on GMMR for the latest posts.

But then there is YOU.  And by YOU I’m talking to those of you who are already fans of Chuck AND those of you who have never watched the show. For those who already watch every week, we are going to need to YOU to help spread the gospel of CHUCK. We’re recruiting YOU to help.

For those of you who aren’t yet watching, all I ask is that you give it a fair chance.  Watch CHUCK at 8pm tonight and see what you think for yourself. Like I said, TV is subjective and you like what you like. Maybe it won’t be the show for you, and that’s cool, but just give it a shot.  And to make it easier, some of the other shows on at 8pm are reruns tonight.  See how nicely that works out?

LIVE CHUCK Chat Tonight!!
If you want to watch with other CHUCK fans and newbies, then join me at 8pm EST tonight for a special LIVE CHUCK chat during the show.  We’ll watch together.  That way if you have any questions about what’s going on you’ll have a bunch of other TV fans who can help you out. And tonight’s episode “Chuck vs. The Dream Job” is pretty damn good, so it’s a great night to start watching.

And check back later today when our resident CHUCK expert, SB, give us a little CHUCK 101. A must read for all CHUCK newbies.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my self indulgence this week. I know it might be a bit much for some of you, but I couldn’t let another one of my favorite shows slip by without putting up a fight.

Filed under #1 featured, Chuck, Save CHUCK

Comments

78 Responses to “CHUCK vs. The Network Pick Up – It’s CHUCK Week on GMMR”

1. Eric on April 11th, 2009 12:47 pm

The best show NBC has to offer is Chuck, my family and co-workers all watch it. DON’T CANCEL CHUCK

2. Faye on April 11th, 2009 12:52 pm

Chuck is the only show my whole family sits down to watch together… It is smart and funny and to cancel it would be a huge mistake!!!!!

3. Georgette Joyce on April 11th, 2009 5:10 pm

I love Chuck…. I cannot believe the network is even considering not renewing it… when I asked around recently… everyone said how much they liked the show… so who’s not watching???

4. Jennifer on April 12th, 2009 5:59 pm

Chuck is a truly amazing show- any time I make people watch it, they are in love by the end. This includes my 75 year old grandmother and my 17 year old brother. It is a show that everyone can watch together and completely enjoy. We need to save this show- it is the perfect mix of comedy and drama, and is the only show that I am really excited about every week.

5. Will on April 12th, 2009 8:37 pm

Save Chuck!! NBC PLEASE RENEW CHUCK!!! Best show on tv!!

6. Joanne on April 13th, 2009 6:59 pm

This is the ONLY show on televsion that my husband and I both enjoy together because it does have something for everyone. And we, too, never miss it – all others are taped for viewing later. There aren’t many shows on anymore that just make you smile and just feel good after watching it. The last couple years, NBC has managed to cancel every decent show they have after a very few viewings – they let you just get interested in the characters and they take it off. I, for one, am done with NBC nighttime television if Chuck goes. What’s left anyway.

7. Kate Diamond on April 14th, 2009 12:22 am

I love Chuck! I am really hoping it gets renewed.

8. Christina on April 15th, 2009 12:02 am

I enjoy Chuck. I am not able to watch it on the regular scheduled nights but watch it weekly. It will be a sad day if this goes off script. There are far too many reality shows or just intense dramas. This one appeals to many and is a laugh each time.

9. charlie rock on April 18th, 2009 7:32 pm

hi
    we have bought episode 1 and very anxious to by episode 2 and hope chuck keeps going as this is our favorite and one awesome tv show .
    Help to save chuck please .

10. David on April 19th, 2009 11:36 am

I wrote a long letter to NBC explaining why Monday night is the WORST night in the world to have Chuck aired. At one point I actually got an extra DVR box specifically for Mondays. This kind of support has GOT to work. Everybody keep up the effort…..please.

11. Julia on April 20th, 2009 11:05 am

Chuck is the best! Best thing out there on television! Please don’t cancel!

12. tony on April 21st, 2009 12:06 am

Chuck is the best on TV right now, keep it on!

13. no one( chuck fan) on April 21st, 2009 4:03 am

keep chuck. its the best show on tv.

14. Greg on April 21st, 2009 8:47 am

I absolutely LOVE the television show, “Chuck”. It is one of the most well put together shows I have watched in a very long time. It has a great cast, great story lines, and I can completely relate to the character, Chuck (since I’m a computer geek and have had a friend like Morgan at one time or another!)

This is one of the very few television shows on that is worth watching! Taking this show off the air would be the most insane thing NBC has ever done, and would only make more people switch back to FOX to watch House. Jay Leno doesn’t need a prime time slot. His show probably won’t last that long anyway.

15. Sara Sanderson on April 21st, 2009 11:03 am

In the “Year of the Writer’s Strike” I must admit that the new shows I tried on that year fell by the wayside. All, that is, except for Chuck.

With television inundated with poorly written versions of much better shows that have come before and far too much voyeuristic pleasure being taken in the downfall of others on “reality” shows, Chuck is one of the very few, smartly written, amazingly well acted shows to hit the small screen in a very long time.

Chuck can find its audience and with some smart decisions on the part of NBC in terms of choosing a time slot, my bet is that audience could be a very large one.

So move Chuck, give him a chance. I’ll follow him wherever he goes.

16. Robert on April 21st, 2009 1:20 pm

If Chuck isn’t renewed I promise NBC will never be shown in my house ever again.

17. Chris Terry on April 23rd, 2009 1:09 am

I love that show. It’s about time that the geek is the man and not some hot guys running around in a swim suit or some t-shirt and tight jeans. I mean come on what other show can you have the geek be a spy, work with a hot chick and have her want him and have a tuff guy that works with him that wants to just kill him and doesn’t. it’s all to great to see. and the other people on the show i love how they all have there own little story line in the main story line also. so they need to pick CHUCK up again and don’t think of droping the ball like they do so much every year and get rid of the good shows and keep the shitty ones.

18. A. Berger on April 24th, 2009 12:16 am

Chuck is one of the few shows I can watch with my 11 year old, that we both genuinely love. it is not to mature for her, or too ” tween” for me. There are so few show like this on television. PLEASE do not cancel it.

19. Anne Clarizio on April 25th, 2009 7:54 pm

I love this show!!! I now love Mondays just because of Chuck. Please don’t cancel this show, I don’t feel like I’m being pandered to. It is very well written and great actors so much going on but not too much at one time. It’s grown up without being too adult. It is one of the few shows out there that is not reality crap all the time. Please, save Chuck!!
    I will follow him!! Let USA network, pick him up I will follow!

20. Greg on April 30th, 2009 1:18 pm

hey! Chuck is great! I am not home when it is one but record each episode to watch later that night! Again it is like the show… the little guy (Chuck) vs. The EVIL EMPIRE OF FULCRUM (or in this case the network). Chuck has a loyal following and does well in the ratings. We as Americans though think that if it is not in the top five you drop it fast! We need to get over it and realize that it is long term not short term that has meaning. Will Chuck ever be #1? No but could it be a strong #8-10 for five years? YES. reminds me of the joke about two bulls, one old one young on top of a hilll……..

21. Michael on April 30th, 2009 6:02 pm

Again…NBC prove that they just dont get the intelligent viewer, nor the number of people who record or catch their episodes online. Mondays are a hard night for NBC. Several programs and potentially great ones have died a death on Monday Night NBC, like Journeyman, have struggled. It seems Chuck is heading the same way.

What amazes me is that NBC should understand this as they are behind HULU. Hulu is one of the greatest inventions after sliced bread! Watch your favorite programs when you want to, not based on a network schedule!

Chuck is my second fav show after Heroes on Network TV…but i watch both online. I only watch two other programs at the moment, also online, and can’t stand reality and game shows.

SAVE CHUCK!

22. Linda on April 30th, 2009 8:50 pm

I don’t have a TV, but live for Chuck on Hulu.com. Chuck, Bones, and Friday Night Lights. Top three shows. “Be a nerd…join the herd. Save CHUCK.”

23. Linda on April 30th, 2009 9:35 pm

oh…and Firefly…bring back Firefly.

24. Mike Richardson on May 5th, 2009 7:47 am

My wife and I both enjoy Chuck. It’s one of the few shows that we watch religiously. For us, there are usually about 3-4 shows a week that we like, Chuck is always at the top of the list…because it really does have a little of everything.

Also, I like the theme. 🙂

25. Gill Gee on May 7th, 2009 5:00 am

Chuck rules there is nothing else like it. because so many people love Chuck I don’t know why they would even consider putting it in the trash. ANOTHER SEASON OF CHUCK, PLEASE!

26. Saving shows, one Tweet at a time « Alan’s Blog on May 9th, 2009 11:32 am

[…] TV blog called, “Give Me My Remote” kicked off the campaign by renaming itself, “Give Me My Chuck.” Comments quickly piled up and fans turned their Twitter feeds into pleas for the […]

27. carl on May 11th, 2009 9:52 am

Hey there fellow Nerds – love the show here in the UK – I do not know how the ratings work but how can the Networks not realise that viewing is more than just ‘on the airdate’??? Most of the television I watch is secondhand (or premiere as far as UK times go haha) and that fanbases from online content help to promote the network itself? I mean if I hadn’t of gotten into The Sopranos would I have found The Wire on HBO and Entourage et all?? I think not – the problem being that there is far too much to watch on a given night but watch them we do – in the mornings, on lunch breaks, on lazy Sundays …

SAVE CHUCK – HE NEEDS TO GET WITH SARAH. (Z. LEvi must surely want for this also! haha)

This is all.

Carl.

28. Save Charles Carmichael! « Revenge of the Word Nerd on May 11th, 2009 9:18 pm

[…] There are few TV shows that are must-sees for me. In fact, right now it’s just “Lost” and “Chuck,” and it looks like the latter is in danger of not being picked up for a 3rd season. […]