BONES Scoop: Will Emily Deschanel Direct in Season 6? Will Cyndi Lauper Return? | Give Me My Remote

BONES Scoop: Will Emily Deschanel Direct in Season 6? Will Cyndi Lauper Return?

March 9, 2011 by

Ever since BONES star Emily Deschanel excitedly shared with Give Me My Remote that she’d be making her directing debut this season, fans have been waiting for her to get a chance behind the camera. When I talked with Deschanel and BONES creator Hart Hanson in January, the plan was for her to direct one of the last hours of the year. But with the season quickly coming to a close, is that still going to happen?

Alas, the answer isn’t a good one.

“I don’t think she’s going to direct this season,” executive producer Stephen Nathan told me. “It became a very complicated issue scheduling-wise and I think we want her to do it when she’s fresh — probably the beginning of next year. It just became too difficult, partly because of traveling to Florida to do ‘The Finder’ episode. It just became a very complicated thing and it was a bit unfair to her and also a little bit to the show, because we would have had to write her out and we really didn’t want to end the year with Emily being light in a few shows. She’s the star of the show and we love to see her all the time!”

The news also isn’t great for those hoping to see Cyndi Lauper’s Avalon pop up this season.

“I don’t think we can work it out this year with the schedules,” he said. “We’re still trying, but between her schedules and how our schedules are shaping up, it doesn’t look as if Cyndi will be back this year. We’re heartsick. We love her.”

Are you okay with waiting until next season to have Deschanel direct and Lauper return?

Related:

BONES: Is Brennan the Consolation Prize?
BONES: Where Do Booth and Brennan Go From Here?
BONES: Hart Hanson Teases Family for Hodgins, Avalon’s Return and the Fate of the Squinterns

Filed under #1 featured, Bones

Comments

67 Responses to “BONES Scoop: Will Emily Deschanel Direct in Season 6? Will Cyndi Lauper Return?”

1. Rosie on March 10th, 2011 5:18 am

I love how the comments went from being totally out there (while I actually agreed with a fair bit of it, I think some of it was a bit too rude), to realising that HH is reading the comments, and suddenly loads of people are sucking up and sending similar ‘stop da hate!’ comments. 😛

2. Amber on March 10th, 2011 5:54 am

And then there’s me who didn’t make a comment to suck up to HH. It’s a repeating problem for me. I mean other fans just throwing crap at them and what not. We go through a good period (by this I mean fans for the majority are good with a recent Bones episode) and then there’s one they don’t like or something is said or comes to light and then Bam! Fans are all over HH and SN because they don’t agree. If you want my comment about Bones in general without defense of HH and SN then here it is.

I liked Hannah. Didn’t love her but I didn’t hate her. Was she a plot device? Absolutely. A weak one? I am thinking most likely. Do I think Booth should have waited for Bones instead of moving on? Yeah, I would have preferred that. Do I absolutely always agree with HH and SN’s decisions? Not necessarily. Do the two mess with us fans and their wording when it comes to spoilers? I have little doubt.

There it was. Now, like I said before this stuff between HH, SN and the fans is a cycle. They do something we don’t like we throw crap. They end up responding and sometimes only infuriate fans more. This in turn leads to fans throwing more crap. It’s a vicious cycle. Should there be a change? You bet. Will there be? Doubtful. I am going to then go with both sides( HH, SN and the fans) need to suck it up and realize the other isn’t the only one at fault. We engage in it. Deal with it.

3. Ina on March 10th, 2011 7:16 am

I agree with Amber all the way.

4. carl on March 10th, 2011 9:39 am

Fans everyone think in the 100th episodes they didnt even mention parker and he had to be at least 2 yrs old. right? when booth and bones met.

5. Alesandra on March 10th, 2011 10:28 am

Wow, this is very interesting. Hart Hanson is a clever man. The comments were first about him and the decisions being made on the show. Now, he sends a tweet about comments being “dim-witted” and now the commentors are attacking each other. This is straight out of “The Art of War”, isn’t it?

Maybe if we all keeping fighting each other, we won’t continue to ask the tough questions about the direction of the show and our concerns about the drastic drop storytelling quality this season. Smart, isn’t it? Well played, Mr. Hanson…

6. Drippan on March 10th, 2011 11:01 am

Boy. I love it when you throw crap back at me because obviously I struck a nerve by stating a fact.

Dismissing S4 finale is asinine. Like I wrote, it is all part of the sum of the whole. Some people think the sex was real and some called it b.s. Who are you to tell me that I should take it as real sex? Even HH/SN said it was real to B&B meaning it wasn’t real to the rest of the world. It was a ‘mind f—‘ between the two characters and that was it.

HH/SN has made one rule their top priority right before S4 started and that is to keep B&B seperated as long as possible. How many times does HH have to mention that if he got B&B together that the series would end? This tells me one of two things: 1. He does believe in the ‘Moonlighting Curse and refuses to admit it 2. He doesn’t have the faith/trust in his or his writers creativities. He is going to throw everything out there including the kitchen sink to keep them apart no matter the cost of destroying his characters.

I actually understand more than HH thinks about why they don’t have ED directing. You don’t put your homerun hitter on the bench when the outcome of the game is still in the air. Keeping ED in front of the camera is the best place for her at this time just like SN stated in the interview. Not only do they love her like this but so do the fans.

The saddest part about this whole thing is that you can see the mistrust from the fans towards HH/SN. It’s sad that they can’t take them at their word anymore because of past behavior or comments. It’s sad that a Castle interview turned into most of the comments asking AM not to “Pull a Bones”. It’s sad that AM has to reassure his fans that he’s “Heart, not Hart”. It’s sad that HH tries to use AM’s tweet to say ‘I told you so’ to his fans.

Bones used to be ‘The Little Engine That Could’. As Hodgins said in the 100th episode “You ever feel like you saw something great that almost happened, then it didn’t?”. That’s they way I feel about Bones now. What once was great is now just mediocre.

IMO, Bones’ ‘The Little Engine That Could’ is the story as told by Damon Wayan in the movie, Major Payne. It starts out really nice then all of a sudden, BOOM, the train gets blown off it’s tracks with spit & blood & ass flying in all directions. The enemy (fans) moves in and the guards (HH/SN) are trying to fight their way out.

7. andrea on March 10th, 2011 11:06 am

It seems to me the fans are more upset about ED not directing this season that ED is herself. Emily is the ultimate professional and knows that’s show business~ things happen and that”s just the way it works out sometimes. She seems to be the kind of person that takes things in stride and doesn’t get bent out of shape over things she can’t control. ED will direct when the time is right. I don’t think HH is holding her back from directing-everything works out when it works out. Emily smartly is preparing herself by continuing to observe and learn from DB who has had experience in directing prior to Bones, as well as from her father who is a cinematographer/director. I think fans need to keep it in perspective and stop seeing ulterior motives where there probably aren’t any!

8. andrea on March 10th, 2011 11:19 am

Also I think that ED’s professional reaction to HH and SN decision-not fussing and complaining, crying/whining-really is impressive and that as soon as they are able to make it happen, TPTB will make it happen for her. No one likes a spoiled brat star! She’s’ not a pushover either, but very wise and knows when to pick her battles and when to go with the flow. HH and SN know that EB wants to direct-she’s made is very clear-I think it will definitely happen in S7.

9. frut on March 10th, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi!- i agree! i absolutely did not mean just negative critique. the ‘positive’ often surpasses those boundaries much more. although, what i mean is that i worry “online fan reaction” (to anything) becomes overpowered by that ‘nut’ quotient, to put it very crudely. i’m not sure the process has developed a good balance yet and also does not represent majority- just tv show internet commenting inclined majority.
    and what does someone reading comments have anything to do with what you say or how you feel? that’s part of the problem- why would anyone commenting ever think they are “sucking up” to someone who has no connection to them at all. people can take something completely non-personal and take it personally and return with personal attacks. then get mad when the person reciprocates and claim they asked for it!
    this does bring up a serious issue that highlights emotional problems and misplaced loyalties.

10. Drippan on March 10th, 2011 12:40 pm

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that ED will probably direct one of the first 3 episodes of S7.

To me, this discussion is about fans making sure that ED does get a chance to direct no matter what it takes. That we are supporting her in her endeavors and backing her 100%.

If that means calling the show runners sexiest or blaming their mistakes of S6 or for whatever reason people stated, it seems to have worked since HH definately got the message THAT FANS WANTS ED TO HAVE A SHOT AT DIRECTING. It doesn’t matter what reason they give or the reasons we give, that is the ultimate goal.

And it’s not about how ED feels about this situation. She may be understanding or she may be a little upset. Who knows except her? It’s about the fans giving 110% of their support to her. She may even be upset about some of the posts but you can’t tell me the girl can’t feel the love!!

11. frut on March 10th, 2011 12:41 pm

… i’m sorry, though, i don’t mean to add to any arguing. it was weakness, i should just stay away from comments. 🙁

12. Tiffany on March 10th, 2011 12:56 pm

Honestly, I think HH and SN bring this kind of criticism on themselves. They have both stated how much they like to mess with their fans. Well, this is what happens when you mess with people, they get upset. And actually going onto a public forum and calling people names? Really? How unprofessional can you get?!

13. andrea on March 10th, 2011 1:06 pm

I think that it’s good there’s so much fan support for ED to direct-don’t get me wrong. I anticipate her directorial debut too! If HH and co. are reading these boards- the message comes across loud and clear-fans want to see Emily get her chance to direct! However, I also think TPTB have an agenda- schedules/plans to adhere to and that they know when the time for Emily to direct will happen. I just don’t think that fans will “push” HH and co. to have Emily direct any sooner than they decide. Or any sooner than the schedule allows. I’m not sure how much effect all the vocal fans will have on their decision! Just my opinion!

14. sims on March 10th, 2011 1:13 pm

Okay I’m dissappointed with this season too.

Not because of Hannah (largely because Booth himself used the word ‘adjusted’ rather than ‘moving on’ + saying he loved H isnt the same as saying he DOESNT love Bones). I’m dissappointed because the writers have sidestepped a lot of the stuff we usually love about Bones not only has Bone’s expertise taken a back-step but they’ve made Booth out to be less savvy as well. Hopefully they’ll bring both charactors up to scratch for next season.

I am sad for ED that she won’t get the chance to direct. Not sure why some people are comparing this to DB though. Okay he only directed one ep of the last season of Angel (would’ve been two if not for his knee operation) but like ED he had to push to start directing then. And they still kept him off rotation for the first few seasons of Bones.

Also ED’s already admitted how much time she’d put into learning the art so who know’s maybe she’s relieved to have a little more time to get into the headspace – especially since this season’s been such a mess and therefore even more hectic for the actors. Remember directing is not just about turning up for the filming its a lot of prep and post work too.

15. Paula on March 10th, 2011 3:35 pm

Gillian Anderson wrote and directed an episode centered in her character back in 2000 in X Files. Maybe ED and the whole Bones staff could get some tips with her. Just saying.
    We love ED and want her to direct.The producers have to put themselves together and do it!

16. Amber on March 11th, 2011 3:19 am

@Drippan Were you directing some of your first comment at me? Because I never specifically meant I was talking to you. It really is meant in general because there are so many others hung up on it not being real. I never said that The End in the Beginning was insignificant. Nor did I say that B&B opening scene was not important. The scene is what it is, right now. You don’t actually know what’s going on inside Hart Hanson’s head. I don’t either. That’s all I feel like saying because really I am losing interest in this.
    Have a good day.
    Amber

17. holla on March 18th, 2011 11:55 pm

It’s so nice to see so much support for Emily! She is so talented and totally deserves a chance to direct. It just goes to show how super-classy she is that isn’t making a thing about this. She has earned my respect 100%!