Comic-Con 2012: Warner Bros. Sets Up Free Outdoor Festival Featuring Stars From FRINGE, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, THE BIG BANG THEORY and More
July 2, 2012 by Marisa Roffman
A little more news about what fans can expect from Warner Bros. at Comic-Con this year. Earlier today, they revealed the eight TV Guide Magazine covers fans can collect, and now they’ve announced they will be hosting a free outdoor entertainment festival by the convention.
Take a look at all the details!
“For the first time ever, Warner Bros. Entertainment will present Extra at Comic-Con®, a free outdoor entertainment festival happening in San Diego’s Bayfront Park July 12–14 during Comic-Con International: San Diego. Bayfront Park is located between the San Diego Convention Center and the Hilton San Diego Bayfront hotel.
- Located just steps from the Convention Center, Extra at Comic-Con will be a live, multi-day entertainment experience capturing all the excitement of the Studio’s fan-facing properties: From The Lord of the Rings to the DC Universe, they’re all here!
“Everyone at Warner Bros. Television approaches Comic-Con as a fan-first experience. It’s in our DNA, with everything we do — from panels to signings to our bags, posters and more — carefully curated with our fans in mind,” said Lisa Gregorian, Chief Marketing Officer, Warner Bros. Television Group. “With the Extra at Comic-Con space, we have created a free and fun outdoor entertainment destination for fans. In addition to having all the Batmobiles on display and game demos, we will be hosting interviews throughout the day on the Extra stage, as well as evening and night events such as screenings and live comedy and musical performances after the convention floor closes for the day. It’s additive to the experience of being at the Con.”
Extra at Comic-Con attractions include:
THE EXTRA STAGE
The centerpiece of this 60,000-square-foot outdoor entertainment event is the Extra stage. Featuring Q&As, live performances, screenings and talent interviews presented by the long-running hit TV entertainment magazine Extra, the stage will be a constant — and free — place for fans to go beyond the Con.
- Stars from The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, The Vampire Diaries and more will appear live on the Extra stage to tape interviews with Extra’s on-camera hosts
- Warner Bros. will also distribute the studio’s Comic-Con special edition of TV Guide Magazine — with four sets of collectible flip covers featuring the casts of The Big Bang Theory, Fringe, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries — at the Extra stage
- A full live event schedule will be posted at the Extra stage and online at www.thewb.com/comiccon
ALL SIX BATMOBILES!
On display in “The Batcave”: all six Batmobiles from television and film! For the first time ever, Comic-Con fans will have the opportunity to see all of Batman’s iconic onscreen vehicles live and in person, from Adam West’s 1955 Lincoln Futura to the Tumbler from The Dark Knight trilogy.
- Adam West’s 1955 Lincoln Futura. Designed by George Barris, this original Batmobile was featured in the cult classic television series and 1966’s Batman, the Movie.
- Michael Keaton’s Batmobile from 1989’s Batman and 1992’s Batman Returns. Sleek and powerful with a central turbine, the vehicles’ slightly retro design followed Tim Burton’s art deco look of the films.
- Revamped for Joel Schumacher’s 1995 Batman Forever, with bat-lighting and extended fins, Val Kilmer’s hot rod had the ability to drive up walls.
- Schumacher updated the Batmobile once again for George Clooney in 1997’s Batman & Robin. At 33 feet long and a top speed of 350 mph with afterburner thrust, this was the largest and fastest Batmobile on the road.
- The Tumbler designed for Christopher Nolan’s 2005 Batman Begins and 2008’s The Dark Knight is the prototype military vehicle designed by the character Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman).
- The unveiling of the replacement Camouflage Tumbler, to be seen in 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises, in theaters and IMAX July 20.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS VIDEO GAME SHOWCASE
With anticipation mounting for Warner Bros. Pictures’ December 14, 2012, release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey motion picture, directed by Peter Jackson and a production of New Line Cinema and MGM, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is showcasing two upcoming games set in Middle-earth.
- Fans can play hands-on with new video game Guardians of Middle-earth as characters including Gandalf, Sauron, Gollum, Thrain, Galadriel, Legolas and many more. This new multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game allows up to 10 players to engage in competitive matches. The game includes tie-ins with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey film. Tournaments will take place each evening, with prizes including custom-painted video game console systems and high-end gaming audio gear.
- LEGO® The Lord of the Rings: 3D Street Art. From the creative minds at Planet Streetpainting comes a one-of-a-kind, LEGO The Lord of the Rings–inspired 3D street art design that will be created and on display for fans of all ages over the course of three days, July 13–15. Stop by each day and watch the artwork unfold!”
Will you be checking this out?
UPDATE July 6th: Here’s a list of the planned performers/screenings that have been set so far:
- “The Meltdown Live — Thursday, July 12, 7:00 p.m.: Presented by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s upcoming videogame Injustice: Gods Among Us, The Meltdown Live brings the NerdMelt Theatre experience from Sunset Boulevard to a sunset performance in San Diego, featuring Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel, Jordan Morris, Kumail Nanjiani and special surprise guests to be announced. A collaboration between Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist.com and Los Angeles’ famed Meltdown Comics, The Meltdown has previously hosted Louis CK, Aziz Ansari, Robin Williams, David Spade and more. Join us for a night of laughs at #WBSDCC.
- Live Recording of Kevin Smith Podcast Fatman on Batman — Friday, July 13, 7:00 p.m.: Filmmaker, SModcaster and Comic-Con mainstay Kevin Smith takes to the Extra at Comic-Con stage for a live performance of his Batman-worship podcast. Smith will interview a special guest from the world of Batman just steps away from “The Batcave,” which features all six Batmobiles on display.
- The Bacon Brothers — Saturday, July 14, 6:30 p.m.: Actor Kevin Bacon (The Following, X-Men: First Class) and composer brother Michael Bacon have been playing together and rocking audiences for 17 years. Don’t miss their exclusive Comic-Con performance as they topline Saturday night’s musical lineup, which also includes Tony Lucca and Frenchie Davis from smash-hit singing competition show The Voice.
- Nighttime Screenings, Presented by Flixster:
- The Goonies: Based on a story by Steven Spielberg, the Richard Donner–directed 1985 action extravaganza follows a teenaged Josh Brolin (True Grit), Corey Feldman (The Lost Boys) and Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings) in the madcap search for the pirate treasure of One-Eyed Willie. Thursday, July 12, 8:30 p.m.
- Friday the 13th : Supernatural’s Jared Padalecki and The Mentalist’s Amanda Righetti revisit Camp Crystal Lake and its hockey-masked, machete-toting Jason Voorhees in this inventive reimagining of the original slasher picture. Friday, July 13, 8:30 p.m.
- Beetlejuice: Before he was Batman, Michael Keaton was creating havoc as the restless spirit/bio-exorcist Beetlejuice for recently deceased couple Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) and Geena Davis (Thelma & Louise) and goth girl Winona Ryder in this 1988 horror comedy from director Tim Burton. Saturday, July 14, 8:30 p.m.
The Extra at Comic-Con stage will offer 30+ hours of free and fun outdoor entertainment from Thursday–Saturday, including:
- Extra Live Talent Interviews: Long-running hit entertainment news program Extra will host live onstage interviews daily with stars and producers from highly anticipated new shows 666 Park Avenue, Arrow, Cult, The Following and Revolution, in addition to returning favorites The Big Bang Theory, Childrens Hospital, Fringe, Nikita, Person of Interest and The Vampire Diaries.
- The Tournament of Nerds! — Thursday, July 12, 6:00 p.m.: Hal Rudnick and Justin Donaldson from the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre Los Angeles answer one of nerd-dom’s eternal questions: Who would win in a fight between [fictional character A] and [fictional charcter B]? Don’t miss this special DC Universe–themed Tournament of Nerds! featuring surprise celebrity judges.
- “Just Cos” Cosplay Costume Contest — Saturday, July 14, 6:00 p.m.: Hosted by Nerdist.com’s popular YouTube cosplay channel Just Cos. Bust out your finest cosplay gear and come join the show!
- Live Podcast Recordings:
- Live Table Reads:
- Join the all-star cast of Adult Swim’s irreverent satirical comedy Childrens Hospital for an exclusive reading of a hilarious episode. Friday, July 13, 5:00 p.m.
- Also, don’t miss a table read — starring fans and special surprise guests — of Comic-Con-favorite series Chuck. Thursday, July 12, 3:00 p.m.
- Live Demo of Injustice: Gods Among Us Videogame — Thursday, July 12, 8:00 p.m.: Ed Boon, Creative Director at NetherRealm Studios and co-creator of Mortal Kombat, showcases the game live. Check out favorite DC Comics heroes and villains as they engage in epic battles on a massive scale in a world where the line between good and evil has been blurred.
- And Much More: Including a special acoustic performance by Kyle Stevens of Seattle’s leading nerd rock band, Kirby Krackle; nerdcore rap from hip hop legend MC Frontalot, the world’s 579th greatest rapper; behind-the-scenes discussions; and more.”