BONES Recap: ‘The Hole in the Heart’ | Give Me My Remote

BONES Recap: ‘The Hole in the Heart’

May 12, 2011 by

Hey, hey, BONES fans! Of all the episodes this season, I though this one finally touched on two things I’ve been wanting to see in Brennan’s character development since LAST year’s penultimate episode, “The Boy with the Answer”: Her reactions to Booth being in danger, and her sense of where she fits in with the team in the grand scheme of things (or as the season premiere called it, “the lynchpin”). And though the episode was centered around Booth, we did finally see some resolution on those two development points for Brennan, and I’m happy about that.

There’s a lot more to discuss, and I know you’re probably anxious to share your thoughts as well, so let’s get to it. Starting with…

THE CASE:

The Scene of the Crime: The episode begins with Booth’s nemesis, sniper Jacob Broadsky. He’s talking with a former co-armed forces soldier, and he asks him for his weapon. The younger man says he’ll consider it. Later in the episode, when Booth and Genevieve Shaw (played by Tina Majorino) show up to Broadsky’s place, they find the body of the soldier and an empty rifle case.

The Victim: Matt Lysinger is Broadsky’s first victim, but when Booth gets hot on Jacob’s trail, the rogue sniper takes another victim, Mr. Vincent Nigel-Murray.

Potential Suspects & Motives: There’s really only one suspect — Broadsky. But throughout the episode, his motives are questioned by Sweets and Booth and others. And honestly, I never quite figured out what his motive was, unless it was to torment Booth. Thoughts from you? Did I miss it this time?

The Lab Results: The team examined Lysinger’s remains while Booth grew antsy with his singular focus of bringing Broadsky down. Angela uses sound technology to help Booth trace Broadsky’s phone calls. And Hodgins studies Lysinger’s wallet for clues, finding evidence of an access keycard to help Booth understand where Broadsky might be. When Booth tracks Jacob down at a shipyard, Hodgins and Brennan alert him to the fact that Broadsky has a broken hand.

The Interrogation Room: Booth brings in Lysinger’s boss, who tells him that they didn’t use keycards. But the boss tells Booth that Lysinger would have been at the shipyard.

The Verdict: Booth and Broadsky track one another within the shipyard, each one laying low. But Booth stays lower, and gets Broadsky in his sights. He shoots him in the leg and brings him down, presumably after which Jacob is taken into custody and will stand trial.

MY Verdict: I think this is the best and most satisfying resolution we’ve ever had to a villainous arc on Bones. Epps, Gormogon, Gravedigger — all pretty good, but I really liked this episode and how it was done. Do you think it actually IS the resolution? Since Broadsky isn’t dead, is it possible he’ll resurface?

Thoughts from you on the case?

THE SQUINTS:

I don’t know about you, but all of Vincent Nigel-Murray’s facts in this episode were sort of bitter-sweet, right? Like the final class before graduation, or the way you remember a favorite grandparent or something. I loved every minute of him here, especially his enthusiasm for the dinosaur mechanical suit. And when he died, I cried. Not just because he’s my favorite squintern of all, not because I’m bummed he won’t be around for more facts, but because it was just such an honest moment of the end of life and the beginning of death. It was one of those moments where, though I haven’t actually experienced that personally, it “felt” true somehow, as if that is how it happens. I’m not describing it perfectly, so I’ll just say this — I loved it.

I loved it so much I’m even okay that it wasn’t Daisy who died. Boom!SquintRoasted! I’m sort of kidding, of course, but then again, Daisy was as good as dead to me when Genevieve and Sweets started talking. Please tell me I’m not the only one who sensed a little chemistry there, yeah? I need more of that, pronto! I also liked the Sweets and Booth dynamic in this one — still a little edgy, but in their way.

It was well-played to have Cam be the one to call VNM’s mother, and I smiled when she called him “such a sweet little weirdo.” Also interesting to me was Cam’s reaction to how Booth was handling the Broadsky situation. I wouldn’t mind seeing another Booth and Cam friendship moment soon.

Hodgins was awesome in his arm-wrestling match with VNM and the way it was a matter of life and death to duke it out. I liked that he was the one who started the tribute to Vincent at the end of the episode, sharing a random fact.

As for Angela, I’m not sure whether to be bummed that obviously she knows Brennan’s secret and we don’t or to just be thankful that she and Brennan apparently HAD a best friend conversation. I loved Angela’s pleased and satisfied smile at the end, when she saw Brennan tuck her hand into Booth’s arm. To that, I say, “Glug Glug, WOO HOO!”

Booth & Brennan:

Like I said at the beginning, the ep revolved around Booth and showcased his actions and reactions, but still, at the heart of the matter is always Brennan’s response and character growth. I liked the subtle way that Booth was edgy — his single focus at the lab, his insistence that Brennan stay at his apartment, and his pale face while Vincent Nigel Murray was dying. This episode relied on Booth staying strong and determined, so there wasn’t really an opportunity for him to seemingly break down and be encouraged. But the more I think about it, the more I think it did happen. Booth needs to be needed, and so when the team — and Brennan also — allowed him to do his thing, his way, it strengthened him. Do you agree?

As for Brennan, I liked that she considered Vincent’s words and actions toward her and her own past actions toward him. I also liked that she was the one to open Booth’s bedroom door. What’s your take on the fact that she had to ask Booth if it was okay for her to cry on his shoulder? Is it significant that she is the one making the “move” or approach toward Booth (both by literally, as Angela called it “crawling into his bed” and by putting her arm in his?

And…so…did they have sex? Does it matter if they did? I’m curious for your thoughts. Which “long, interested look” did you like better: The one before Booth closed his bedroom door, or the one at the end, when Brennan showed up with her plant?

Okay, enough from me. It’s time to weigh in with your reactions. Did you like the episode? Are you satisfied with how Broadsky was taken down? Are you shipping Sweets and Genevieve with me?

And hey, this is kinda strange, but I think it might be fun…how about, in honor of Vincent Nigel Murray, we all share one completely random fact in our comments. I’ll start: Mr. Potato Head’s birthday is May 1st. Now you!

Filed under Bones

Comments

136 Responses to “BONES Recap: ‘The Hole in the Heart’”

1. Delph on May 14th, 2011 8:49 am

When I think about Booth and Brennan I see different beliefs/values/faith and yet the same bad results in their personal lives.
    The problem is that it is not acknowledged on the show, only Brennan is being shown the errors of her way, and being called out on her issues/behavior that Booth share too, but he is not being shown as clearly as Brennan the error of his way, is not being called out on his issues.
    Brennan was seen as arrogant, cocky and stubborn when she was so sure about herself and her beliefs, even though she never really tried to change Booth’s mind the way he does. Booth was also quite sure of himself and his beliefs, but he was seen as being principled and strong to keep his irrational beliefs faced with rationality.
    (The example you give about Brennan still being an atheist, for me again it was a way to show the error of her way, she was so rational that she couldn’t see that VMN wasn’t talking to her, she made a mistake because of her rationality, which is BS btw, I don’t get why rationality would prevent someone to think that in a case like this even an atheist would do something as irrational as pleading to stay alive. Also, like I said, the show is not over, so it wouldn’t surprise if she changed her mind, or at least acknowledged that she could be wrong about her faith in reason which would be fine, but will we get Booth acknowledging the same about his faith????)

Like I said, they have the same issues, like GG said, they are not opposite, yet in Booth’s case the same issues make him a strong hero, and in Brennan’s case they make her an impervious robot. Because of that Brennan is asked to be more human, open, vulnerable, dependent etc, but Booth is not, is asked to remain the strong independent hero that has never shown his feelings more than Brennan, that doesn’t really ask for help either but nobody complains, that focus on his job to avoid to deal with his emotions ; just like Brennan, Booth has always been good at compartmentalization too, but nobody complains when he does it. Brennan from the start has been quite open with Booth after he told her that you have to give a bit of yourself in order to get something back, Brennan had to wait till S4 to learn about Booth’s childhood, he is not as open as Brennan, yet Brennan is still asked to be more open, and not just to her close friends anymore but with others too (feet on the beach). Booth is not asked to be more open even though he has always been less open than Brennan… What people ask from Brennan, they don’t want to get from Booth: vulnerability, weakness, dependence, tears, doubt etc.

Talking about imperviousness/compartmentalize, if Brennan was impervious there was nothing to compartmentalize, but we were told and have seen for years that she was compartmentalizing which means that she could not have been impervious… We were told many many times that she was not as cold and unfeeling as she seemed. She became impervious during the show, and nobody ever acknowledged that on the show, nobody ever noticed in S4 how literal she has become, because she wasn’t that much before, no they are all acting as is she has always been that literal…

So in the end the show simply doesn’t make sense anymore, the characters change to fit the plot…

2. Delph on May 14th, 2011 9:16 am

Brennan being able to promise Booth that she will always stand by his side (killer in the crossairs) is going against her fundamental belief that you can’t possibly know how you will feel for the rest of your life, that change will also allow her to marry Booth, something she has said that a rigorous intellectual person would never do because of what I said above. And we all know that the endgame is BB in a romantic committed dyad (which apparently in the writers’ mind is the only way to live a full life), and for some reasons it seems to me that for that to happen the writers think that one has to be able to just believe, go with one’s heart/feelings even if they go against logic, has to promise eternity, has to see the world in an enchanted way (magic, fate, yes you will say she still doesn’t believe in them, but she also said that she still has to improve, so I’m afraid it means for the writers that she has to believe in them, that it will be the last step, and the show is not over yet, she still can change her mind) etc.
    I think that Brennan just needed to start taking risk, for that I personally don’t think she has to change any of her fundamental beliefs.

3. CeeCee on May 14th, 2011 10:52 am

I did love this episode, and I was talking to the TV several times! VNM was my favorite (after Zach), and I will miss him. I saw him recently in a Lifetime episode with Jane Seymour…his character’s name was Nigel !! but did not have a British accent. It occurred to me while I was reading all the previous comments that Booth told Brennan she was going to stay at his apartment that perhaps it wasn’t for safety but that he knew she was very upset and would need him. I loved that she did not argue this time. This sniper story has not interested me as much as others….these last 2 seasons just have not had the depth and quality writing as the seasons 1-3. Even with with last few good shows, I am not as freaked about missing Bones shows during the summer. I used to have withdrawal to be away from my favorite show and the 2 characters that I was basically in love with. I enjoy reading all of your comments and I am glad this show does continue to make us think and feel.

4. Gina on May 14th, 2011 11:00 am

mommahurley, KUDOS! You nailed it – at least for me. The characters have grown and changed so much that for someone who has seen random eps here and there, they may be unrecognizable. But for the faithful viewer who has endured, cried, laughed and loved for six full seasons with B&B, what a treat it was to watch HOLE IN THE HEART. I <3 Hart Hanson and his genius for character development.

5. Gina on May 14th, 2011 11:05 am

Delph, no human being is truly IMPERVIOUS… it has been Brennan’s belief that she is impervious and her fear to let people in that has stunted her and made her so robotic and “cold”. Booth has “seen the truth of {her} and is dazzled by that truth”. He knows there is no other for him and he has allowed her the time to change – to find and feel love from this family she has created for herself in place of the family that so desperately let her down. I think the characters are true to the growth – if they were exactly the same as in the beginning of BONES we would have ALL jumped ship long ago…

6. Kate on May 14th, 2011 11:27 am

PLEASE HELP ME I’M GOING CRAZY! (:
    So. I’m kinda of a Bones Finatic, and i liked this episode alot. People have been saying about the matching times for the coma dream episode,and this episode when they climbed into bed with eachother.were both 4:47. I was watchign the commenary on the season finale for season 5, with the hoarder, and Hart Hanson was doing the commentary, he said that the apartment room number ( 3C ) would be extremely important in season 6. does anyone have any Idea’s.

7. sunny on May 14th, 2011 12:46 pm

@Kate–Thanks for the commentary info! How very interesting..

8. Delph on May 14th, 2011 1:08 pm

I don’t think that S1 Brennan thought she was impervious, but that people thought she was and still do, that’s why in woman in the car (and later in S2 and still now) she felt the need to tell Booth that even though she is a professional she still has feelings (because of what Booth said about the professionals that kidnapped the boy and cut his finger), but it is easier to just see the boy’s finger and not the boy behind it, for her to do her job. That’s why some of us call it inconsistency that now Brennan is presented as having been impervious to damage when they met, she was not impervious, she was just able to compartmentalize to do her job, and yes she probably did it a bit too much, but when it was really needed she would feel and empathize. I don’t think she was impervious to Stires’ betrayal, or Booth’s for that matter, but she moved on and finally trusted Booth again, that’s being strong, not impervious as said in the elevator episode. But I don’t object that she was more impervious than most people, but again I don’t see what is wrong with that as long as she was not to everything. Nobody is previous to everything either, and since she had a different view on the world, of course she would not be (im)previous to the same thing as most. Again, it’s a matter of opinion/education/culture. Nobody can say who is right. But it seems to me, and that is my opinion, that the show is telling that Brennan’s faith in reason is wrong, and the cause of her imperviousness that kept her from living a full life that requires to see the world in an enchanted/magical way, like Booth or Angela. And that without believing that love is transcendent and eternal she will never be happy, otherwise why did they make Brennan want to believe it at the end of Cinderella? And since Booth promised that she will one day, I bet that she will, maybe she already did during their night together, maybe that’s what happened, and I personally think that it would go against her fundamental beliefs, and the thing is I don’t think it is needed at all. JMO

9. Gina on May 14th, 2011 1:42 pm

I understand your POV, Delta. I think however, that Brennan didn’t always feel that way – we see this through the bits we get of her childhood. I think we are to understand that it isn’t really her BELIEF system, but a defense mechanism. She wasn’t always this way – she made herself this way because of hurt/fear/anger. I choose to believe that because Booth has also experienced some of the things that Brennan has experienced, but retained his faith/hope/love that he recognizes in her what could have happened to himself. That’s part of the draw. The inconsistencies are there because, since season 1, the warm loving Brennan has always been there – underneath the hard shell. We have always been shown pieces of that. Booth got tired and lonely and he was hurting in season 5 and he pushed – and IMHO he should have pushed. He also backed off. I also choose to believe that Booth was mean and colder to Bones while with Hannah because he was living the life with hannah that he wants so desperately to live with Brennan. That is what in turn pushed Brennan to compromise her staid and “hard” belief system to something more akin to Booth’s. She’s softening because he hardened against her – a dose of her own medicine perhaps.

I love these debates. I love how everyone puts things into place for each other. This is what good writing does. It makes people THINK and debate and come together. I love that your opinion is so differing from mine, Delta and that these discussions bridge the gaps from Thursday to Thursday 🙂

10. Daniel on May 14th, 2011 2:03 pm

I was VERY DISAPPOINTED in this episode, and I think it did very little, if anything to restore the B&B chemistry that has been missing all season. The Brodsky story arc, as well as its conclusion, were underwhelming, but the big problem is still that both Boot and Brennan are out of character, particularly in their relationship. Several people have noted how booth is not as open and jovial as he used to be, and seems to be displaying 0 feelings towards Brennan. But what’s up with Brennan herself? She used to always want to be out in the field, in fact she made booth take her, and while she was coldly rational most of the time, when it came to Booth being in danger it always triggered strong emotions (e.g. killer in the concrete, hero in the hold, critic in the cabernet). In the last episode she lets him go off after Brodsky without her, and when she’s on the phone with him she just rattles off facts, completely unconcerned with his safety. The only bright spot might be the bedroom scene if they DIDN’T have sex. Then it might have been a good moment to melt the ice that has built up between them all season long. If they did have sex, and their relationship went 0 to 100 in one night over VNM’s death that would make no sense, not to mention it would be uncharacteristic of either of them.

11. Gina on May 14th, 2011 2:23 pm

Delph, my apologies that my spell check turned you into DELTA.

12. beth on May 14th, 2011 4:16 pm

@Delph
    Agree with everything you have said.

I don’t object to Brennan changing, so long as her intelligent, rational, independent, thinking self remains intact. But it hasn’t. “If there was a God, he would have let VNM stay” ???? Come on, now. That’s what is supposed to underly this brilliant woman’s take on theology? And Booth is the one to explain that God doesn’t work that way, like a parent to a (very young) child?

Also, Booth needs to change as well. He needs to question his own beliefs and choices, which have gotten him to a place where he’s very hostile and shut down. Just not a really warm or enjoyable character to watch anymore.

I hope they did not have sex, because they are not at a place in the rebuilding of their relationship where they are ready for that. I hope we see that the night was a part of trying to rebuild — like, they have a conversation in which they are honest with each other, and Booth confesses some of his mistakes and acknowledges changes he needs to make. I’d be more hopeful if we get a chance to see this happen. Or rather, to see that this happened during their night together.

13. marple on May 14th, 2011 5:33 pm

Just want to add thank you very much Delph for your great posts and i agree with you 100 %. It is so dissappointing to see how these once so great characters have been destroyd imo. Most of that have been done this season.
    I can´t understand how they went from that good to this.
    Another thing that has been frequent these last episodes has been the constant attacks on Brennan from those who are supposed to know her most. How can they just assume the worst of her all of the sudden. While she continuosly stand by Booth and assure him how good he is that he is a good dad, good person. Why does no one of her friends beleive in her ?
    I miss them and most i miss the old Booth. I don´t see any emotion from him at all now.
    Then about her being impervious, really where did that come from all of the sudden It just felt weird (again). They began by having Booth state he needed time to get over his anger. Now all of a sudden is that just gone ? Now we wait for Brennan again. How come everything about Booth is just going away without any conclusion or answers.

14. Evil Monkey on May 14th, 2011 8:39 pm

@Daniel

“In the last episode she lets him go off after Brodsky without her, and when she’s on the phone with him she just rattles off facts, completely unconcerned with his safety.”

*facepalm*

Oh, for God’s sake, THINK about what you are saying! After what happened in the lab, do you actually think Booth would allow Brennan to go with him while he hunted Broadsky? Do you think he would actually risk putting her in the line of fire? NO.

And no, she doesn’t just rattle off facts. She tells Booth that Broadsky’s right hand is broken. That was a very useful piece of information.

15. Evil Monkey on May 14th, 2011 8:47 pm

@Delph and all others complaining.

Guys, if you don’t like the show anymore, then why don’t you do what most people do under these circumstances and just stop watching?

Not that it really matters since this season is about to end, but still…

16. Steph on May 14th, 2011 9:52 pm

Random fact: The drum beat in a piece of music can change the rate of your heart beat.
    R.I.P. Mr Nigel-Murray!

17. Jessica on May 15th, 2011 4:51 am

Random fact for Vincent: the liquid from young coconuts can be used as a substitute for blood plasma.
    Poor vincent. He was my favorite squintern 🙁
    RIP Vincent Nigel-Murray!

18. Tenley on May 15th, 2011 5:09 am

Random fact: donkeys cause more deaths anually than plane crashes!
    I’m so sad that vincent died.. But I am really glad where booth and brennans relationship is heading! I hope there is a bones/booth pregnancy to go along with emily deschanel’s pregnancy!

19. lucygg on May 15th, 2011 11:12 am

For years the other characters with varying degrees of subtlety (and sometimes none at all) have been encouraging Brennan to allow herself to feel more than she thinks is safe.

Brennan bravely did a lot of reaching out to people in this ep, and I adored it. It’s a very natural human need to want comfort. but another matter to admit it and reach out to someone else for it. She reached for Booth twice, allowed herself to do it. She opened up to Angela and both told her about her night at Booth’s and her confusion about her motivation for reaching for him.

By the way, Angela is basically playing us. We are the reaction she had to Brennan’s revelation about the comfort snuggle. The sheer gobsmacked glee of a good friend who wants to see you happy and knows how to get you there. I really loved Angela in this ep.

With all this emotional homework Brennan has been doing, I’m getting really impatient with Sweets. Maybe it’s just because the audience sees all aspects of her blooming emotional life and Sweets is only written to see what happens in his presence. But the accumulation of Sweets’ comments to her has seemed unnecessarily harsh the last half of this season. Brennan is starting to react to slights directed at her, the ones her coworkers are used to thinking she doesn’t notice or care about. Cam’s potted plant comment (it was a hydrangea, btw) and Mr. Nasiri’s comment about the hearing impaired girls last ep are two examples. In an odd way, the writers are allowing Brennan to do a little better job at adjusting to her emotions that some of those around her.

Oh, and all of the lovely eye contact! When Booth got the text message that Brodsky had been spotted, and he just looked at Bones and she only nodded, no words. He waited for her acknowledgement – do what you have to do. And when Booth told her, didn’t ask her, where she’d be staying the night. All the arguing took place in silence, and I was so glad she didn’t squash his protective instinct.

Really, this is an episode that makes me glad I have a DVR. I’ve saved four eps to rewatch now and again this summer, and I’ll burn this one up between now and next October.

I could say more, but it would involve lots of squeeeeee-ing and emoticons and exclamation points, and words like ‘yummy’ but I’ll spare you all that and just say this is one of the most enjoyable Bones eps I’ve seen in a while.

And in honor of the late Vincenzo, unlike their gasoline counterparts, diesel engines don’t have spark plugs.

20. SafetoSay123 on May 15th, 2011 1:05 pm

Random VNM fact: In medevial England, they were so afraid of burying people alive that they tied strings to the fingers of the dead. These strings attached to a bell on top of the grave. If a corpse were to wake up, a night guard would hear it and unbury them.

Personally, I think Broadsky’s motive was that Booth wanted him gone. That would stand in the way of Broadsky’s “good guys” regime, and so that made Booth a “bad guy.” and Matt Lysinger was just ‘collateral damage’ to cover his tracks.

21. Gina on May 15th, 2011 3:05 pm

Yay, lucygg! I love your comments.

22. Nina on May 15th, 2011 3:16 pm

I think that they didn’t have sex. They just spend the night holding onto each other, which is just as meaningful. But I think that yes, it is important to know if they had sex or not … because it has been SIX SEASONS and I will be really pissed if they just get together properly without a good make-out scene.

23. Shannon on May 15th, 2011 3:50 pm

Great episode all around. It made me laugh, cry, scream at the TV, jump for joy, etc, etc! I was crying hysterically when VNM died “I don’t want to leave. Don’t make me leave” (tear) Booth was obviously concerned about Brennan’s safety which is why he wanted her to stay with him. Brennan seeking Booth’s comfort was touching. I am so happy at the way Brennan has grown emotionally over the course of the season. I about threw something at the TV when the cameras followed Hodgins when Angela and Brennan were talking about Brennan getting into bed with Booth. I mean, seriously, Angela told Hodgins to leave not us too!

Did they or didn’t they? Well, Angela certainly knows something significant happened that night. I hope that B&B didn’t sleep with each other. It just wasn’t the right time for their first time. Hopefully they just talked about their relationship moving further. Maybe waking up together they realized that that is where they both belong. But, Angela’s happy smile at the end when Brennan tucked her arm around Booth was hard to miss. If this is what they meant when they said fans will be talking about this all summer, I guess they are correct!

Useless Trivia: John Wilkes Booth’s brother once saved the life of Abraham Lincoln’s son, Robert Todd Lincoln.
    RIP Mr. Nigel Murray!!

24. Kat on May 15th, 2011 11:44 pm

It was a really good episode… definitely one of the best this season and in a long time! I loved the action, the emotion and the acting – plus the story. Good job writers… this episode really paid off for a very rocky and off-kilter season 6.

My only concern is that they had sex. I honestly REALLY hope that they didn’t. Because if we waited for six years only to have it happen off screen, I will scream. It would be such a tease. If they at least show us in flashbacks I could handle that. But THIS (if they did it) would have been their first REAL kiss… a kiss that signified the beginning of something, a kiss that they both wanted equally… for us to miss them kissing slowly, then more passionately, and then continuing until fade to black – that would be cruel. After all these years, it’d just be cruel.

So that was my main concern, and it put a pit in my stomach.

But other than that, I really did LOVE the episode.

25. charizzle on May 16th, 2011 1:07 am

ummm…. WOW!!! I am so glad I don’t watch the previews to the episodes. I had no idea what was coming. So that was what we’ve been waiting for for 6 seasons, I think. And I like it. I like that it wasn’t what I expected. That said, they better show something.

🙁 vincent nigel murray. So sad. A penguin has an organ that converts salt water into freshwater, or so i’ve been told.

26. Emilie on May 16th, 2011 2:40 am

That episode is so frustrating!! I was just sooo upset we didn’t get to know what exactly happened after the “cralling into bed”!
    But I do agree that it wouldn’t be right if they did have sex.. after so much sexual tension between the two, making them have conmfort sex is just not right (or did they? and then they will say they just did it to get comfort and it didn’t mean anything more?) … But no, I really hope thet didn’t! 1. Booth needs to admit (at least to himself) that he still loves Bones (and that she’s “the person who doesn’t go anywhere”) 2. Bones is too rational to have sex around 5am when she knows Booth needs some rest to kill Broadsky in the morning… and don’t you think she would have said to Angela : “I had sex with Booth” instead of “I got into bed with Booth”? She’s ALWAYS stating the facts!
    So I just hope they opened up, said something about their feelings in that bed.. or maybe that life is too short to wait until the dates they wrote on those papers they burnt?!

27. Mary T on May 16th, 2011 6:56 am

For EMILY

You are 100% correct in you. Brennan made a point for Booth to get sleep since he was
    going to kill Broadsky in the morning. No sex was had.. she just did not want to be alone.
    There were some rather lame scenes for me….. singing around the coffin was not
    really needed for the scene.
    All is all, not the best episode but not the worst one.
    The best for me was the Doc in the Photo

28. Delph on May 17th, 2011 11:55 am

@Evil Monkey Why? It’s simple: Hope.

Up until she married Hodgins, Angela had a commitment issue too, just like Brennan, that was first made clear in skull in the desert. Yet Angela has kinda the same beliefs system as Booth, the opposite of Brennan’s, which shows that Brennan’s commitment issue has nothing to be with her rational beliefs system and thus doesn’t need to change in that regard.

@Gina The idea that Brennan’s rational beliefs system is only the result of her trauma is exactly what I’m complaining about, the idea that her beliefs system is bad/wrong/negative. We have been told that she has always been kinda closed off etc, even as a child. The idea that Brennan was wasting her life, was not happy etc just because she chose science over religion unlike Booth, is what I’m complaining about, especially since Booth’s personal life is not better than Brennan’s when you look carefully. He didn’t and still doesn’t have a lot of friends, he was/is not living the big life either, he was/is hyper-independent, he was/is a loner, he was a gambler, he never appeared to me to be particularly happy, he was/is closed off etc, mostly just like Brennan. He talks the talk, but he doesn’t walk the walk ; he doesn’t follow his own advices, to the point one could ask if all his preaches only concern women after all and not human beings and thus not men, him…
    And Brennan has said that she does hope things, she still had hope in S1, she didn’t just believe something because she wanted it to be true, but she would still hope that it was, I don’t see how this is bad, I see this as being realistic, but the show implies it is pessimistic.
    And no worry about your spell checker, Delta is a nice “correction” 🙂

29. kitty on May 17th, 2011 3:00 pm

VNM was my favorite squintern. It’s so hard to believe that he’s gone… oh, Vincent. D:

Genevieve and Sweets would make a pretty awesome pairing… I never liked Daisy. She bothers me. Why couldn’t it have been her?

As for Did They/Didn’t They, I say yes. There’s all the symbolism, like 4:47 on the clock. And Bones and Angela… well, their expressions didn’t say “cuddling” to me. Plus, Emily Deschanel is pregnant, so this could work well.

30. KatieK on May 17th, 2011 3:32 pm

I’ve now watched the episode several times now, and some scenes several more times and I really think it’s one of the best they’ve done. Plus, I love that they’re giving us back the characters that we love without the needless drama that has been associated with this season.

I have to say, am on the fence with the did they/didn’t they question. I really hope that they did not and think that due to the seriousness of the day and what everyone, especially Booth needed to do they next day, they didn’t. But would love it if they finally came to an understanding that they would be together after he got Broadsky. I agree with the other comment above that I think that we deserve to see the first real kiss between them. I’m hoping that the looks and the touches after Booth got Broadsky were the beginning of the “official” courtship and we get to go along for the ride.

Still can’t get this episode out of my mind and will greatly miss VNM.

I’m a little late to the game, but here’s my fact – reminds me of VNM’s trivia that a pregnant goldfish is called a twit:
    The oldest known goldfish lived to 41 years of age. Its name was Fred.

31. Rianne on May 24th, 2011 1:19 pm

What does the song called before Broadsky shot Vincent?

32. sometimes gets called Brennan.... on September 11th, 2011 8:02 am

In response to last comment, The song is “keep the streets empty for me” by Fever Ray.

OMG I LOVED Vincent Nigel- Murray, he was the favourite squintern. Gonna miss him HEAPS!!!! why couldn’t they get rid of Aristoo or something??? he just annoys me. Oh, well, RIP Vincent Nigel-Murray!!! We <3 You! Your Random Facts and Confessions, we will miss them :'(

Random Fact for VNM: The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

RIP VINCENT <3 <3

33. Food on January 17th, 2013 9:02 am

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to
    say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be
    subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again
    very soon!

34. things to do in Cape Town on August 1st, 2013 4:51 pm

Howdy!
    Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to check it out.
    I’m loving the information! Superb blog

More to come on my internet page things to do in Cape Town

35. Gracie on January 25th, 2014 10:40 pm

I loved this episode! I felt that it represented where their relationship is going perfectly!

36. Laura Opper on October 13th, 2014 12:32 pm

I really liked this episode even though VNM was the one who was shot. That being said the one thing that REALLY bugs me is the snide comment Cam makes about the plant Brennan brings when they give VNM his send off….don’t know why but it does!

I think Booth wanted to be at his apartment because he was ready….he knows the layout and exits in the dark. There wouldn’t be as much stumbling around in an emergency.

I thought it was interesting how pressure was being applied to Booth by his own friends…Sweets telling him that if Booth goes down the rest of the team will too.
    That would be hard to deal with.

I think maybe B&B didn’t have sex at 4:47 am but I think maybe after VNM’s sendoff something interesting happened….