BONES’ Katheryn Winnick: Hannah Truly Does Love Booth | Give Me My Remote

BONES’ Katheryn Winnick: Hannah Truly Does Love Booth

September 29, 2010 by

BONES fans, tomorrow night is the night.

Some of you have been anticipating it, some of you have been dreading it, but ready or not, Hannah Burley is making her official debut in Thursday’s episode.

I just got off a conference call with Katheryn Winnick (Hannah) and she spilled some of what we can expect from her character…

Hannah might not know exactly what happened between Booth and Brennan in episode 100: Fans know that Booth put it all out there last season in his attempt to further his romantic relationship with Brennan, but will his new girlfriend be aware of that, too? “That’s a very good question — I ask myself that several times,” Winnick told me. “I know that she definitely knows about Brennan and that they have some sort of history and they are very tight. I don’t know if she knows the details of their relationship and what happened last season. I think it would be more interesting to discover that [later on], but I don’t feel like she’s threatened by Brennan. I feel that my character is very strong and independent and motivated in her own personal journey of working in the press corps that I don’t think that she’s threatened by Brennan’s relationship with Booth. That’s what makes her fun to dive into. BONES really knows how to write strong women and that really attracted me to doing this arc.”

Winnick is aware of the haters out there…but she hopes you love her character anyway: “I heard that I may be causing a stir,” Winnick laughed. “But I’m excited about it. I’m excited about my character and I hope that they will welcome me.”

“She’s not there to be part of a love triangle or create a big cat-fight or high school drama: she’s there because she truly does love Booth,” she continued. “And she’s there to explore a different part of her life and start a life with him. I think that people, the audience, will hopefully respect her and her strong character and her strong will and her motivation and drive to work and find facts in her job. She’s not just there to be his girlfriend, she has her own purpose and her own path. And I hope that the audience will give Hannah a shot and fall in love with her because I’ve fallen in love with Hannah.”

Brennan and Hannah will be bonding: “I really feel that Hannah and Brennan are similar in a lot of ways — specifically that they are both driven by facts,” she said. “They’re both very motivated, intelligent, adventurous women and I think that I respect Brennan’s character and hopefully she does the same for me. There’s not any major tension right away, but I think it’s this understanding that we both have a similar past and a similar motivation of what we want out of life. That is one of the reasons we really bond together.”

However, that’s not to say it will all be smooth sailing between the two. “I feel like Brennan’s character can’t help but probably feel a little bit of tension with this new girl,” Winnick admitted. “I think she doesn’t even know if she is at all jealous, but she may be not even admitting it to herself. It will be interesting to see how the story and arc plays out, if she discovers something within herself. I feel like there’s something, being the new girl, being the girl that moves in with him and knowing that they have a strong bond — work-related or not — there’s always a part of me that definitely has one eye open [to make sure] that relationship is what it is and is nothing more.”

We’re going to be seeing more of Booth’s off-duty life, thanks to Hannah: “I really feel that Hannah’s character brings a certain side out of Booth that [we] haven’t seen yet,” she said. “It’s a fun, loving side and we get to know his character a little more and why Hannah and Booth have this strong bond. I feel like my character gets to really pull him outside of work and see him in a different light. So I’m exited for the BONES fans to see that.”

And Booth-Brennan shippers, you might want to prepare for an upcoming scene…: Winnick revealed a highlight to look out for:”There’s a scene that, after I’m in bed with Booth — I don’t know how to say it in a nice way, but after we get a chance to connect and have some fun — one of the first things that I mention is his connection with Brennan. And I ask him [about her], his connection with Brennan is really unique and they’re very close. So in other words, the Hannah character is very intuitive. She reads people very well. She reads Brennan…She’s very intuitive, I feel like that’s a very good example.”

Some additional scooplets:

• How long will Hannah stick around? Winnick would only say she’s around for “a handful of episodes.” However, if the powers that be wanted her to become a regular, she would be open to that discussion.
  • Her first episode delves further into how Hannah and Booth met. In addition to arresting her, it seems Booth also saved her life. So far, there haven’t been any flashbacks to their time together in Afghanistan.
  • Winnick says her scenes have fluctuated between being light and serious. Booth “pulls a fun, loving side out of Hannah” she says, but the last episode she shot (thus far) had some serious moments where “under certain circumstances, life kind of kicks in and real-life drama kicks in.” Hmm….

Are you willing to give Hannah a chance?

And to be the first to see our exclusive videos by subscribing to our YouTube channel at

Filed under #1 featured, Bones

172 Responses to “BONES’ Katheryn Winnick: Hannah Truly Does Love Booth”

1. joybrennan on October 3rd, 2010 4:03 pm

In his talk on writing last spring, HH talked about being an artist vs. being a tv writer. He mentioned the show he really enjoys and respects is “The Wire” because it “never resets, never explains dialogue…” but it doesn’t get much of an audience, basically because it’s too smart. So, basically, in order to attract a mass audience, in his theory, you have to write…kind of dumb. Having watched the numbers as of late, I have to say, he’s right. So, while it’s sad that what was once a rather smart show has been reduced to the level of a soap-opera. at least the actors are really good. It’s just a matter of adjusting expectations.

So, okay, this is no longer brilliant writing, or “Must-See” TV. It had 3 really good years of that before it started sliding… Am I willing to suspend my disbelief even more and continue following the show? Yes, because it seems no matter how implausible a scene is, no matter how much the character history gets thrown out the window in a reset, the actors are able to make the moments work. HH definitely has one of the best casts on television. I just have to remember that, at this point, there is NO continuity!

As for Hannah – I don’t have to give her a chance. This is a soap opera, and the character is a plot device who will be gone eventually – and some other thing will take it’s place. It’s completely possible to skip this arc, come back in later, and know what’s going on. Frankly, I can’t bear much of watching Emily do sad and broken-hearted – she’s too damn good!

2. lauren sue on October 4th, 2010 8:55 pm

Okay. So Booth has a lover. So what? All these people are like freaking out because Booth is looking at a girl besides Brennan. Am I a Booth and Brennan fan?? Of course! But I love the show so much more than to let it go just because they don’t have my favorite people together. I have lasted this long and I will never stop watching it until ends. Because it’s an honestly awesome show with great actors and great writing. Shame on you people for not watching because you don’t like Booth with someone! You were never really Bones fans in the first place then!

3. River on October 4th, 2010 11:05 pm

@Lauren I’m not watching because I’m tired of all of the drama
    in the show being new love interests. I want something different. That doesn’t make me an untrue fan.
    Queen of the discussion section.

4. jen on October 5th, 2010 10:12 am

This is depressing,seeing two people who are clearly meant for each other,kept apart. I will not be impressed if she’s kept around. She’s onlt useful on a short term contract. I love bones,and this is starting to depress me, this is the point where all hshows go downhill

5. boo on October 6th, 2010 6:42 am

From watching the episode, I’d say there’s only one part of Booth that Hannah truly loves.

6. Elizabeth Tice on October 8th, 2010 12:57 am

To end each segment on a down note and make Brennan look so sad will help the ratings to plummet and cause a downspiral on the ratings. Who wants to be depressed after watching “Bones?” The purpose of entertainment is to keep you in good spirits to come back for more. Unfortunately, the current scripts do not do much for Booth’s image as he appears shallow and fickle, proving the opposite of what he believes about love NOT being transcient. HH, I am afraid you are messing with the script too much and not in a positive way.

One of the best solutions is bring back the tension between Booth and Bones, he apologizes to her, bring back the humor, and model them on the old movie characters of Nick and Nora Charles in the “Thin Man” series. They were married, had great comedic timing, and solved murders at the same time.

7. Marypat on October 8th, 2010 1:17 am

I agree with the last commnet. I don’t think the storyline does anything for anyone. Booth was the one who said to Brennon that they would meet in one year to sort things out. The new plot line makes him seem wishy-washy and fickle, not the great guy we knew and loved. He doesn’t seem comfortable with his lines, he certainly isn’t very convincing with Hannah, and he seems cold to Brennan. As for Brennan, she is getting sadder and sadder with each episode. is all this unhappiness supposed to maker her see the errors of her ways and blossom into a more outgoing and loving person? I love the show and am so sorry to see the storyline decline. I would have loved to see the main characters resolve their relationship and go forward. I saw an old movie called the Thin Man where the main characters, NIcky and Nora Charles, were a 2 married detectives, each with a strong character, always in the thick of everything, and always had a fast repartee. I know the “rules” were that partners couldn’t be a couple, but there easily could be ways around that, given that Brennan has unusal qualifications. Nothing against the show’s cast whom I love, but the last 3 episodes have had really depressing endings. It’s just a show, but why tune in to be disappointed and saddened by the recent developments. And I really don’t like Hannah!!!!

8. Matt on October 8th, 2010 3:51 am

If your main point to watching the show is to see Booth and Brennan get together, you’re lame.

This is not Gilmore Girls or some other lame WB show. It’s a crime drama with a comedic twist. The cases are the best part.

9. Story on October 8th, 2010 5:26 pm

Oh – I agree with everyone! Excepting the last comment – in part – I think we all watch this show for a sort of escape. The comedy and mystery are an important part of that, but let’s not under estimate the human drama. Bones’ characters and story are so well developed, you can almost believe that they’re real. They are intelligent, and strong, but tolerant and vulnerable – qualities we can relate to, that we strive for, and that we want rewarded.

But back to the issue at hand – poor Brennan! I should say that I watched very little of season 5 – I found four years of getting to know one another and working out their own issues believable, but the coma was too far, seemed like a cheap trick to me. I don’t know now, from what I hear the writers managed to put everything right, and redeem the integrity of the plot and characters, and I give them the benefit of the doubt they will patch up this aweful Hannah debacle. I, however, am not clever enough to see how, and can only mourn for poor, poor Brennan.

My one plea to the writers – if Brennan and Booth do sort themselves out please don’t trivialize or cheapen their relationship by making it on again off again- I don’t think most of us DO watch it for the tension!

10. oksana on October 14th, 2010 9:34 pm

i do not like Hannah that much although bringing jealous feelings towards Brennan is good.

11. becky on October 15th, 2010 4:29 pm

12. Lynette on October 19th, 2010 10:28 pm

just need to have it end up being Booth and Bones…….I think the idea of them walking into a room together and putting a “do not disturb sign” on the door is a good one☺

13. marry on October 28th, 2010 6:47 pm

Wow, this is a lot of emotions .. but I’m your opinion … Hannah has to returned to Afhganistan, so that Brennan and Booth get together.. BUT not watching the show, because it is depressing, is not fair. I mean this show needs us.. and we love the show, and whatever happens, I will watch it because its a really nice show.. I like the Bones characters.. and the actors and I think the writers will do the right thing to make us happy again, even if they need some time…SO RELAX!!!!! And give HH a chance to fix it =)

14. sookie flower on October 29th, 2010 8:49 am

i don’t think that i will ever accept hannah the bitch stole brennens man and i am so annoyed that brennen did stand up and just say back off thats my man and that she said no in season 4. and i alao don’t think that this sould be the last season, on the last episode they do it should be booth and brennen get married because that would be so sweet and i would be so happy that they get to be together finally after all those years of sexual tension and feeling for each other !!!!!!

15. sophie_910 on January 12th, 2011 1:16 am

i don’t want Hannah and Booth together. They are not perfect together. I don’t like her. i want Brennan and Booth together. now i think i don’t want to watch Bones anymore!!!! Suck on that thumb, MATE !!!

16. Kim on January 13th, 2011 7:43 pm

I watched the season… It was depressing. It was awful to watch Bones break down and cry when she finally knew she loved Booth. He wasn’t very nice to her in that scene. But… I guess Booth didn’t love Bones after all if he could fall in love so quickly and completely in the short time they were apart.
    I think the writers of this show made a big mistake and I really can’t see a way for them to fix it.

17. James Morris on January 17th, 2011 8:34 am

I don’t recall the episode but there is a conversation between Brennan and Tess, where Brennan asks Tess why she didn’t marry Booth when he asked. Tess replies that people of have a momment when they can either ignite or not and that they simply missed their moment. I have actually stopped watching Bones after the 100th because I think the writers have basically ensured that B&B have missed their moment and their is no realistic way back for them now.

18. sarah on February 8th, 2011 10:15 pm

i dont think he should marry hannah bones obvisisly likes him and if he marries hannah im not going to watch the show anymore

19. Amanda on February 10th, 2011 10:12 am

I may hate Hannah and ya sure I do want Bren and Booth to get together. But I don’t think that they should just get rid of Hannah yet. Hannah plays a big part of Booth’s life and if she were to just leave now I don’t think that he would be the same. It would make everything very awkward. I think that I can deal with her for a few more episodes but then after that they have to get rid of her. Bones loves him and anyone can see that Booth still has strong feelings for her to. So why not put them together.

20. lefty on March 17th, 2011 8:25 pm

I’d marry Hannah in half a heartbeat. Much better looking than Bones and so much less baggage

21. Imane Assi on June 27th, 2012 9:08 am

After he gave up on her the way he did om the 100th episode,once she told him how She felt,he had the choice between Hannah and Brennan.When he told Hannah about it,he should also have told her that he was confused,if he actually was,that he needed space and time to figure out how he felt and make a choice.And you know what?he made his choice:He chose to propose to Hannah less than a year after he claimed his love for Brennan would last 30-49-50 years….That’s all I needed to know how he felt about Brennan.After 6 years waiting for them to finally give into their feelings,Booth made Brennan his rebound girl.
    If he had proposed to Hannah before Brennan’s confession,I would have understood.But he did it after Brennan’s confession,making a clear choice.
    Unlike Booth,Brennan didn’t just jump in another relationship when he rejected her.She needed time to heal and land back on her feet before trying to move on.Booth even dated someone,her name was Catherine or something, right after Brennan rejected him and before Hannah.That’s how fast he moved on from his so called love for her.
    He tries one time,one time only and he gives up?So much for his great love for Brennan

22. crystal travel deposit on November 17th, 2013 12:36 pm

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This kind
    of clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.