How Many Episodes Will BONES Have in Season 7? | Give Me My Remote

How Many Episodes Will BONES Have in Season 7?

August 5, 2011 by

Given how many rumors are floating around about how many hours BONES season 7 will be (Fox ordered a full season, but given series star Emily Deschanel’s real life pregnancy, it will be impossible to film all 22 hours), Give Me My Remote took the chance at TCA to try and clarify the show’s status.

“13 BONES this year,” Fox’s President of Entertainment, Kevin Reilly told me after the executive panel at TCA. “13 BONES, 13 FINDER. Because [Deschanel]’s pregnant. We’ve said, if you come back early, we’ll do a few more, but we can’t…it’s just going to be physically impossible to get the full order.”

What do you guys think? Are you okay with 13 episodes?

Filed under #1 featured, Bones

Comments

149 Responses to “How Many Episodes Will BONES Have in Season 7?”

1. Yves on August 6th, 2011 2:18 am

13 épisodes c’est pas mal ,mais le plus important est que les scénaristes arrivent à gérer convenablement la grossesse d’Emily ,sinon ils risquent de bousiller la série

2. Lexi on August 6th, 2011 2:26 am

You know how everyone talks about the Moonlighting curse, most of that wasn’t due to them getting their main characters together. It had to do with them trying to work around a pregnancy by shooting the two main characters at two different times and on opposite sides of the country, this kills the chemistry because the actors have nothing to work off of. I would much prefer Bones to remain faithful to the what makes the show great.

One of the things that the show is pretty famous for is the number of babies the writers and production team have had. I think this gives them a great amount of respect for their actresses. Speaking as a student of post production, it’s somewhat rare in television to have respect for peoples personal lives. I like to believe that this respect will be visible in the work that they do. There is nothing worse then watching an actor who didn’t want to be working, which could happen with a mom who wants to be home with her newborn.

The 13 episode they do make will be planned as 13 episodes. That means the story arcs will be complete unlike the ones from the writer’s strike year. If you study the Bones season structure you see episode that deal with big themes and then “filler” episodes that could be placed pretty much anywhere in the season. I have a feeling we will simply see less filler. Another advantage is the theory that the outside pressures in creating, like a shortened season, make people thing outside the box. This allows more interesting ideas to come to the forefront. It’s kinda like a river, if nothing got in it’s way it would be perfectly straight, but it hits rough spots and has to find a different path and thus creates a more interesting river.

3. Fiona on August 6th, 2011 2:26 am

i think 13 is fantastic. Emily is pregnant and of course the baby comes first. i’ve had 2 miscarriages, so i know how important it is to take care of yourself and the baby. everyone that thinks it’s not enough just needs to calm down. although i would really like to see a Season 8. i highly doubt they’d quit after these 13 episodes though, because of 1.) the huge fan base, and 2.) well, they need jobs. xD but yea, i believe we’ll see more after this season.

4. Kat on August 6th, 2011 5:48 am

13 episodes its ok considering the situation!!Family must come first always….As for the Finder episode I really hope they will change their mind and not put it in after all….I was bored to death last season with it because the show is Bones not Finder!!!and I hope that I am the one who misunderstood the article and that the last episode will not be the one with the Finder!!!(“13 BONES, 13 FINDER.)

5. Emma on August 6th, 2011 5:51 am

13 episodes is MORE than OK I’ll take all the episodes i get but I love Emily and I want her to have time with her baby and she will be gone what like 1 or 2 MONTHS?! That’s NOTHING in sweden most parents are home like 1 or 2 YEARS.
    AND stop complaining about 13episodes! This isn’t Emily’s fault this is the writers fault bcz they didn’t have any material for the cast when season 6 was done.
    Life happens deal with it!

6. Maureen on August 6th, 2011 7:08 am

I totally understand that real life, such as pregancy and pregnancy leaves do occur and I wish Emily Deschanel all the best for a health pregnancy and baby. Bones is one of my favourite show and I can never seem to get enough of it. I must admit that this was for all of the seasons except for season six which was absolutely terrible with the whole Hannah story arc. I really hated it. It seems that the writer’s only woke up after they go rid of Hannah. Sole exception was the Doctor in the Photo. I would rather 13 stand alone episodes for Season 7 of Bones with a hope that there will be a Season 8. As I am in the middle of hiatusitis to think that there might only be 13 episodes of Bones would be heartcrushing. I really hated the episode of the Finder that was backdoored as a Bones episode and I have not interest in watching it. It would have been nice to have had a few more episodes of Bones with some of the squints taking over for Brennan. It would have been really cool if somehow they had Zack back to fill in for Brennan as Brennan I expect would also be on maternity leave.

Here’s hoping the HH, SN et al see these comments and give the fans something to look forward to.

7. Bonnie on August 6th, 2011 7:32 am

I am fine with any new ones!! I love this show and pray that there will be many more seasons. Emily deserves her special time.

8. K on August 6th, 2011 8:47 am

@luvyaca – They wrote Emily’s pregnancy into the storyline. In an interview Emily said she was willing to spend her hiatus filming S7 episodes. That was the plan, but Bones got a late renewal from FOX due to some negotiations on the business aspect of the show (licensing, etc). Without the renewal, the writers could not pen scripts; consequently the show could not go into production, despite the actors’ and production crew’s willingness to continue filming even after S6 wrapped.

You cannot say that they had no plans on how to handle Emily’s pregnancy. Hart Hanson said in an interview in May that he pitched 7-8 ideas to the studio/network on this, with having a number of Emily/Brennan-less episodes as one of the options. I do believe that the TPTB studied and weighed in all options before deciding that it just is not viable for the show to have Brennan-less or Brennan-light episodes – the character, after all is the lead in the show. Ultimately it is really the TPTB that has the final say on this. So their solution: curtailed season, film as much episodes before Emily goes on maternity leave (She’s due late September or early October), late premiere for uninterrupted run of those episodes before the Christmas hiatus, run the The Finder episodes while Bones resumes production of the rest of the episodes after the Christmas hiatus.

9. Amanda on August 6th, 2011 9:41 am

I have recently been turned on to the show. I have fell so much in love with the show that I changed my major in college to Forensic Pshcology and Minor to Forensic Anthropology. I find these careers to be very interesting. I know it will not be like the t.v. show but I will be very much loving the fact of helping solve crimes. I can not wait for season 7 to air. I also think that this show should continue for a long time. Bones and Booth should be a couple on the show. I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t be a couple and partners.

10. alejandra on August 6th, 2011 11:26 am

mientras los capítulos estén bien elaborados y contengan de todo(amor (booth y brennan), acción, risa) no serán malos y me conformare con 13 (no es cantidad es calidad)
    while the chapters are well thought out and contain everything (love (Booth and Brennan), action, laughter) are not bad and I’ll settle for 13 (not quantity is quality)

11. kris g on August 6th, 2011 11:58 am

13 episodes is better than none. i could always replay the first 6 epis of season 7 after it goes on a break to give way for Emily’s maternity leave. I have 100% belief that this show will go beyond season 7 or 8! This is the best show i’ve ever watched. You get every genre in just one show! And who doesn’t enjoy the crazy, cute & very witty bickering/banter between Brennan and Booth?

To have an episode of Bones w/o Brennan just won’t do for me!

And as for people saying they hate season 6 because of Hannah, i think that’s kinda foolish. Booth & Brennan’s characters needed those experiences to grow and realize just how much they love each other. Albeit its heart crushing to watch Brennan in those episodes with Booth/Hannah, i kinda understand and its more realistic that way.

Now that Brennan & Booth are finally together (sort of anyway hehehe), i am gonna sit back and enjoy every single episode of season 7. if i can wait 6 months of no Bones show this year, heck i can survive Emily’s few months maternity leave. But I don’t think I can handle if this show will come to an end, i dont even wanna think about it!

Hehehe i think i’ve already said too much but i just love this show esp Brennan and Booth!

12. Cheri on August 6th, 2011 12:09 pm

13 is good. Frankly, it’s about 5 more than I was expecting.

13. WTM on August 6th, 2011 12:59 pm

All the best to Emily on the birth of her child, but it’s a farce, IMO, to think that these thirteen episodes of BONES are about family. This situation isn’t about the fact that Emily’s having a baby, It’s about the commitment that FOX has made to make money. As a network, FOX has committed to the World Series, Simon’s Cowell’s X-Factor, American Idol, Terra Nova, and The Finder. I just read somewhere else that the network has yet to find a slot for Kiefer Sutherland’s new project. Then there’s HOUSE, GLEE, FRINGE, Zooey Deschanel’s new show, and I’m sure a few more series that are not coming to mind. This network has only two hours of priimetime programming to slot a night, and it wants to air ALL of this programming. Where’s it supposed to go?

FOX doesn’t want fans to think about the fact that it gave Bones a late renewal, meaning that nothing was written so that it was impossible for Emily to work during the summer hiatus. That was a FOX decision, but they want fans to say, “It’s OK because Emily’s pregnant.” When September comes and you find yourself missing Bones and not liking X-Factor? “It’s OK because Emily’s pregnant.” In January, after about the third episode of The Finder (which will likely be awful), but you know that ten more episodes are coming after it? “It’s OK because Emily had a baby.” FOX wants fans to say that mantra for as long as they can get away with it. Ohm…Ohm…

I want Emily to have a happy, healthy baby. I want her to enjoy her maternity leave. However, I do not buy the FOX spin that one woman’s pregnancy, even if she is a star of a show, is causing the chaos that FOX wants you to believe that it has. FOX overpromised, overscheduled, and underplanned, but that’s not nearly as cuddly an excuse as “It’s OK because Emily’s pregnant.” Ohm…

“It’s REALLY OK because FOX wants to make LOTS of money.”

14. ann on August 6th, 2011 1:07 pm

Guess we will have to except 13 but would love to had the 22..I just hope 13 are really good and it will show more of Booth and Brennan relationship and how they handle it…Nov. 3 is so far away….

15. Renata on August 6th, 2011 5:21 pm

Come on! Just 13! I want more! It’s not cool!

16. Kenny on August 6th, 2011 6:22 pm

I am perfectly fine with that. It’s understandable, Emily & her child have to come first. Don’t get me wrong, I would love a full season but it’s okay.

17. mirry-bones on August 6th, 2011 7:33 pm

I’m pissed we have to wait like two more months then it should be and we get less shows thats gay but i guess it’s cool that shes having a baby but it’s not cool that shes having it with the other david guy i hate him not to be rude or anything . I LOVE BONES ANYWAY oh they should have 100 eps in the one year that they have to make the shows now that would be AWSOME !!!!!! can’t wait till Nov.3 sooooooooooooo far away :):(

18. Rosalie on August 7th, 2011 5:31 am

I can totally understand that. Cuz Baby Emily is more importent than everything right now. And 13 episodes, i know it’s REALLY too short, but doesn’t that mean there’s another season may come ??? Beside, this is gonna be the best season, right ? Bones & Booth & a lovely Baby , can’t wait 🙂

19. Maer on August 7th, 2011 5:24 pm

There’s no reason she couldn’t do both. Lots of mothers go back to work within 3 months of having a baby. They have the funds to keep the baby on set with a nanny while Emily is working. It shouldn’t be an issue.

Having a baby is a normal state of being for the majority of women; unless she has health issues during or after her pregnancy she’s no different from the millions of mothers in the same boat. We can take it (although personally all I wanted to do was lie on the floor watching my children blink and coo).

Hopefully Finder will be entertaining enough to hold us over until Bones is back on track.

20. wister on August 7th, 2011 10:01 pm

I think her child comes first. Being a mom is exhausting, She needs the time to bond and cherish her child. Congrats. The show will be great.

21. Blue on August 8th, 2011 9:05 am

Why not just bring Zack back!!?? I was pissed when they got rid of zack.. and now this crap? They should have found another way to write the rest of the season without her.. Maybe booth can play off oh shes home with the baby.. eh.. This is crap. But I am happy for Emily and congrats to her and her new addition. Will there be a season 8!??!

22. kdog on August 8th, 2011 11:32 am

Are they TRYING to kill this show? The producers, writers, etc really need to remember all the shows that have passed before, that lost all there fan base because of cheezy plot gimmicks and taking liberties with their schedule. There are OTHER shows to watch in Thursday nights you know…..

23. xkat7x on August 8th, 2011 5:29 pm

I we should be happy for Emily that she’s having a baby. This is her job and everyone has to take time away from work to deliver and care for a baby. 13 episodes is fine. =]

24. #1FANofBONES on August 8th, 2011 5:44 pm

I think you should do 15 episodes but family is much much more important than tv. if she can do 15 episodes that would be great. 🙂

25. yuli on August 9th, 2011 12:09 am

BONES TWITTER: BonesNewSeason

26. Penny on August 9th, 2011 7:07 pm

Well we get what we get. I would say last season there were far less than 13 great episodes so if they can manage to keep some quality up for these 13 then i will enjoy it. Looking forward to it, tho slightly scared after last season… luckily there is Castle, Mentalist, Doctor Who.. all of those are in fine form & should be spectacular this season… so i will survive.

But yeah just as long as they ***DO NOT*** add little bits (or big bits) of FINDER into those few BONES episodes. Cos Finder just straight out sucks.

27. Perniketi on August 9th, 2011 7:58 pm

They could, if they wanted to expend any effort, make the show work with intermittent Emily appearances. Booth could do a flashback episode about his recent army time, maybe solving a local murder there. They could do a flashback on each person during their year off.. we’d love that.
    So many good ideas are there, they just don’t want to spend the time/money/effort.

28. Stephanie on August 10th, 2011 12:29 pm

I agree with most others. Emily (and baby) come first! Although, can they do some episodes without her? Maybe have someone try to fill in for her while she is out on a trip to who knows where (in the show of course).

29. Mel Drake on August 11th, 2011 3:25 pm

Congrats Emily! I am glad that you are having a baby! I don’t mind that there is only 13 episodes. I am just waiting to see Sweet’s face once he finds out the Bones is pregnant with Booth! All through every season he was in he kept saying that they had a love life together but the kept telling him otherwise! SWEETS IS GONNA FREAK! I may be only 14 but I am a BIG FOLLOWER of Bones. I can’t wait for Nov. 3rd!

30. Brent on August 12th, 2011 6:55 am

well good on the 13th one send her on vacation let some one else take over and if they do better than keep them if not bring her back next season or not at all . it dont matter she letting movie go to her head she is not real like she use to be poor actress now.thinks she is the only one can do the show.

31. Michelle on August 15th, 2011 11:19 pm

I’m not happy about thirteen episodes. Whatever happened to “The show must go on”?

It’s not that I’m against people having babies, or people not working during, or after pregnancy. I’m so happy for Emily and her family. Happy, happy, happy. If she doesn’t want to work, that’s cool. Let her come back when she’s ready. I’m against the season being cut short because someone’s having a baby.

Were there no other options? Couldn’t the show go on without Deschannel/Brennan? There are enough “squinterns” as Booth calls them for them to go on without her. I still care about the other characters on Bones and want to know about their lives. If the producers think that I still feel like only Bones can save the day they are mistaken.

Other actresses have gotten pregnant and their shows didn’t suddenly stop. Hell, an actor died in recent years and the show he was part of didn’t stop. Sure, it wasn’t a leading role, but a person died and the show went on. In the early seasons I would have argued that without the character Bones there wasn’t a show Bones, but now there are so many wonderfully formed characters there is so much more to the series. It’s a shame.

Thirteen episodes. Man, they had better be DARN good episodes, the best this series has ever seen, every single one.

32. Joanne K on August 16th, 2011 9:35 am

A lot of these comments make me laugh! We should remember that there was no break in between filming of seasons 6 and 7 and so, for most of the crew and cast, they have been flogging themselves for over a year. On top of that, Hart has a new show to pull together as well. I am dubious about The Finder but I’ll give it a chance, but frankly 13 Bones eps will be great, even with a break in between them. It’ll feel like forever until we get them here in the UK anyway so it’ll make little difference to us! A lot of series make shortened seasons now which means we get a wider range of shows to choose from. Failing that we can always dig out the DVDs.

33. Linda on August 26th, 2011 3:55 pm

Will there be a season 8 of bones?

34. Alivia on August 27th, 2011 4:04 pm

13 IS FINE i would be happy if they only had 5 episodes! STOP COMPLAINING! she has a life! I love bones but have we all forgotten its JUST A TV SHOW???? none of the lives on there are REAL! she is pregnant and has a REAL life! YOU ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES! ITS FAKE ITS NOT REAL ITS A SHOW SOMETHING U WATCH IF YOU HAVE THAT MUCH TIME ON UR HANDS TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IIT U MIGHT WANNA FIND A JOB

35. Ric Opalka on August 27th, 2011 4:10 pm

Here’s my 2 part dumb question:

a) why not air 2 episodes a week (one airing could be a replacement for a series that will inevitably fail)
    or
    b) why not end the season late?

Either way would allow for more than 13 episodes

36. Alivia on August 27th, 2011 4:12 pm

how would they do that with only 13epidsodes?? once they set an amount of episodes its set in stone its NOT GOING TO CHANGE

37. Vanessa on September 7th, 2011 2:49 pm

I think 13 is to short -BUT since it’s for the baby I think we all could live with that!! I really miss watching it!! I totally agree with Alivia ! Booth and Brennen are just actors and THEY TOO have lives to live!!! I’m a faithfull watcher and love to watch the reruns to -BUT everyone is entitled to a little privcy and time for family!!!

38. Dawn on September 7th, 2011 5:36 pm

I am so looking forward to seeing the new seasons & disappointed about only 13 episodes, I do understand that babies do make it difficult especially when working. I never miss a episode & have been waiting for Booth & Brennan to get together since the show started. I hope that there are at least 2 more full seasons after this one as well. I have to say that the characters or all wonderful , but would have loved to see Booth & Brennan throughout the pregnancy , like Angelia & Hodgens. So I can’t Wait too see how it’s gonna be.

39. Kathrine Zeta on November 28th, 2011 11:37 pm

Ok so ya its disappointing because we are use to long seasons and having a new episode every week, but what does that say about us? That we care about a fictional show over reality? I love Bones and its because of the characters; the characters that have lives beyond the scrips and scenes. Emily, and any other mother, should never have to plan their life around whats convenient for others. Plus, half the time it happens its unplanned. Yes it would be kind of cool to get some episodes of the other characters but sometimes people don’t think about those things until its too late. I am just happy there is even a season and that Emily is even acting right now. She could have taken leave and delayed the season even longer, but she didn’t, so for that we should be thankful. I just hope there is at least a season 8 because I would just love to see “Brennan” with the baby…could make for some really funny scenes:)

Dancing Phalanges:)

40. Ari159 on January 11th, 2012 12:52 pm

I think it’s retarded that some people were proposing to shoot episodes without “Bones”. You can’t have a show without the main character!

41. Christine on January 16th, 2012 6:28 pm

Well, since she is pregnant it’s a must. It’s not like she can help when she’s going to have the baby. But it is a little disappointing since I love Bones SO much! Congrats Emily!

42. Breaa on January 18th, 2012 5:27 am

its called bones guys…there cant be a bones without bones..(dr.brennan)…besides…she sees things that the squinterns often dnt. shes needed. thirteen episodes is great however u decide to watch em. jus bring on real life little emily nd bone baby booth-brennan. <3

43. Pamela on February 4th, 2012 5:11 pm

I have to say, I’m a little irritated at her for getting pregnant..lol I know it sounds awful. And I feel awful saying it, but it’s a little irresponsible. Especially since I heard this will be the last season they are doing, and it’s only going to have 13 episodes?! What the hell is that shit… Also, the show could have made episodes without her, just send her off to her Dads or something or at a family members while boothe and the squints work on the cases. I’m tired of this crap happening to my shows… Like spernatural too, We wait all summer for the new episodes to come and then they have a hiatus period from like a week before thanksgiving until like January or february. What the fuck is that? lol but of course God Forbid they miss an episode of Jersey Boar. ( mispelled on purpose) or any other retarded show like vampire diaries and whatever crap they come out with that I refuse to watch. Emily….. USE YOUR HEAD!!! lol and writers…. GET MORE CREATIVE!!! LOL that is all.

44. Molly on February 19th, 2012 1:50 pm

No other show has worked around an actress’s pregnancy like this one has. The viewers should not have to go without, just because she is pregnant. There are plenty of ways they could have filled in for her absence. I find this very stupid and I am quickly losing interest in the show.

45. sarah on February 19th, 2012 9:51 pm

well i love the show no matter what and im fine with only haveing 13 episodes as long as they show the baby in some of the episodes because babies are soooo cute

46. yoyoyo on April 5th, 2012 8:45 pm

I’m cool with 13. I mean they only have the sets for so long before other shows need to use them and since they’ve already have the good to go for season 8 its NBD at all and the finder is a pretty funny show so theres something to enjoy as well.

47. shay on May 14th, 2012 12:39 pm

as long as its not cancelled i’m happy 😀 theres always next year

48. crystal travel usa on November 17th, 2013 12:13 pm

Good info. Lucky me I found your site by chance (stumbleupon).

I have bookmarked it for later!

49. ticketing agents in chennai|air ticketing jobs in chennai|air ticketing course in chennai|air ticketing jobs in chennai for freshers|air ticketing job in chennai|air ticketing and travel management course in chennai|air ticketing institutes in chennai|air on September 16th, 2015 7:29 am

You actually make it appear really easy with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually one thing that I feel I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I’m taking a look forward in your subsequent publish, I’ll try to get the cling of it!