BONES: Creator Hart Hanson Answers Burning Questions on The Season Premiere and Beyond | Give Me My Remote

September 24, 2010 by

Okay, BONES fans, you’ve had more than 12 hours to digest the season 6 premiere and to debate what went down in Give Me My Remote‘s recap post.

But if you’re like me, you may have a few nagging questions after viewing the episode.

Thankfully, I had the opportunity to chat with series creator Hart Hanson and get his take on what went down during the opener, plus his thoughts on the series going past season 6 and that whole Hannah thing…

What was your thought when the promos spoiling Angela’s pregnancy were released?
HH:
I just went, “Oh my God.” But we have no say over promos. And they’re pretty good. They’re pretty smart most of the time. I wish they hadn’t done that. But also…I accept that these guys are professionals and know more about promo-ing. I wouldn’t want them to tell me what to write in my show, so I’m not going to tell them how to promo. But myself, I wish that had been a surprise. I love the fact that we kept [the Angela-Hodgins] wedding a surprise and it just popped up. I loved that.

HH:
Because she [originally] told him in Paris.

Oh, so that was part of the Parisian fig leaf scene that you cut?
HH:
Yeah! Yes! Good for you, yes, that’s right.

Is the fact that Booth skipped out on his commitment to the military going to be addressed at all?
HH:
He did not join the military. He did not become a soldier.

Then what was he doing? You had mentioned Booth didn’t go back to shoot people, yet we saw him shoot three people in one scene.
HH:
Okay, there are so many civilian mercenaries. There are so many civilian contractors over there.

So he didn’t join the military?
HH:
He did not join the military. He worked for them. The problem is, David just looks too good in fatigues. But you’ll notice there is no insignia [on them].

And was he being truthful with Brennan about what he was doing over there? Was what we saw of his time in Afghanistan an abnormality?
HH:
When he says, I just did administrative work? He’s totally lying to Brennan because he doesn’t want her to be scared. He’s just being kind.

How about the reunion between the two of them in the premiere? I heard from fans who were disappointed by their goodbye in the season finale. Did you put a lot of thought into how they would greet each other after their time apart?
HH:
Oh yeah. And I’ll tell you something else — we script one thing, then we shoot it 3 or 4 ways and then we cut it different ways. Then we see what we feel is going to work in that moment.

When I talked with David Boreanaz (Booth) recently, he was pretty clear that Booth wants to make Brennan jealous in regards to his new relationship. I wasn’t sure what to make of it, but when I watched the premiere, I felt like I got glimpses of that, especially when they were catching up on the steps. Was that your intention when you wrote the episode?
HH:
No. I don’t think Booth wants to make Brennan jealous. He wants what’s best for her. He wants to survive what he went through with her. There’s no vindictiveness, he’s not trying to get her back. As a grown-up male, he’s going, that [relationship with Brennan is] not going to happen — in his opinion — and he’s moving on. He’s doing his best to move on and have a happy life. There’s no ulterior motives and no wanting [to make her jealous] — it’s possible that David wants Booth to make her jealous without trying, if you know what I mean. David is not an idiot, he thinks things through.

I didn’t expect David’s comments about making Brennan jealous to come into play until after Hannah arrived, but I did feel a coldness — or at the very least an obvious detachment — towards Brennan when he told her about his new relationship.
HH:
Oh, that’s interesting. See, we didn’t get that. We didn’t see that. But that’s interesting. I’ll look at it with new eyes and see if I see that.

For me, the most glaring example was when he told her his relationship was as serious as a heart attack. Brennan is crushed and has an obvious physical reaction to that news and it seemed to make no difference to Booth.
HH:
If we did it right, he doesn’t see that, he’s not looking at her [when that happens]. I have to say Emily [Deschanel (Brennan)] is the master at a flicker of emotion. She’s pretty good at letting it happen when Booth is looking away and we try and cut it that way. You raise an interesting thing, though — does the audience notice that, or because they’re looking at both of them, do they see that he’s uncaring? That’s an interesting question. I’ll have to look at that. I think we want Booth to want the best for someone he truly cares about, with no ulterior motives. We’ll try and get that.

Well, you do have an extra episode this year to make it all work. I know you’ve already mapped out the first 10, but have you planned out the back 13?
HH:
No. [pause] We’re there now. We’re there case-wise, well into the back 13. But the other stuff, not all the way. But we had a big meeting [last Monday] about big steps, so that we can start chugging them out.

And we did briefly touch on how scary your time slot is this season. If ratings do go down significantly and this ends up being the final season, are you worried about fans not getting their proper resolution?
HH:
Yes. I’m hoping in the worst case scenario, the worst case scenario, we still see it coming. If we’re really surprised, I’d be really worried about that. But I don’t think we’ll be really surprised. I think we’ll know by Christmas how we’re doing [with regards to] the network and what their intentions are. It’s a worry. And I think I’ve said many times, I don’t want to get them together in the last episode.

We’ve discussed how you already know when, in the lives of these characters, they will get together, even if you don’t know when in the life of the series that will be —
That’s right.

Has that changed at all?
HH:
No. [long pause] I would guess…Nobody knows anything, [but] I think we have a pretty good chance, a 50-50 chance — which ain’t bad — of getting an 8th season.

An 8th season or a 7th season?
HH:
An 8th. We have a 50-50 chance. I’m pretty sure — I’d say we have a 60-40 chance — if we go for 7, we’ll probably go for 8. The big question is, will we go for 7 or will this be our last year? And it’s a big worry. It’s a big worry. Because you know…how the other [new Fox] shows do, how we do in our time slot. We’re an orphan. No one [currently] at the network developed this show.

Okay, fair enough. Let’s talk about Hannah for a minute. We’re in season 6 right now — is it risky to be bringing a serious girlfriend into the mix? Fan feedback so far hasn’t been what you would call positive…
[TJ Thyne joins us]
HH:
[to Thyne] She’s hollering at me about Hannah.

I’m not hollering, I want to have a discussion about her.
HH:
Do I worry about it? All the time every day. What do you think, [TJ]?
TJ Thyne: About Hannah? I love it. [Hanson laughs] I love it because she’s smart and she’s sexy–
HH: You’re going to get me out of this, aren’t you?
TJT: –and Brennan is kind of forced to go, [pause] “Oh.”
HH: If [fans are] not going to give her a chance, there’s nothing I can do about those people.

The promos are heavily pimping that storyline and how much Booth is over Brennan…
HH:
They must be crazy, people who think it’s over for Booth and Brennan. Who believes that?
TJT: Here’s my feeling on it…my feeling is if Brennan goes up against someone who is vivacious and sexy and sassy and smart and has it all and can fight and in the end, [Brennan] wins her man, then God, you’re going to be so much more excited for her!
HH: [To Thyne] You should do all the interviews! [To me] Can you say that I said that?

You want me to lie?
HH:
Yes. Just say I said that. Because I write most of his stuff. That was a great line.

That was a great line. And honestly, if it’s done right, it could be fantastic, but it needs to be done right.
HH:
Oh, we worry about that all the time, every day — are we doing this right? But imagine what a bad show it would be if went, “Oh, we better not try that.”

Thoughts?

Related:

BONES Season Premiere: Let’s Discuss ‘The Mastodon in the Room’
BONES Season 6 Premiere Live Chat
BONES’ Hart Hanson Teases Cyndi Lauper’s ‘Crucial’ Role and More on Season 6

And to be the first to see our exclusive videos by subscribing to our YouTube channel at youtube.com/givememyremotetv.

Filed under #1 featured, Bones

Comments

73 Responses to “BONES: Creator Hart Hanson Answers Burning Questions on The Season Premiere and Beyond”

1. ann on September 27th, 2010 1:08 pm

i WANT booth to be a bettter dad to his son/and quit being a part-timed dad.

2. Krystall on September 28th, 2010 8:14 pm

I WANT BRENNEN AND BOOTH TO GET TOGETHER ALREADY!!!!

3. MMsonoma on September 28th, 2010 8:20 pm

RE: “Why didn’t we see Angela tell Hodgins she was pregnant on screen? We only saw the aftermath of him digesting the news.
    HH: Because she [originally] told him in Paris.”

HH is incorrect. Angela told Brennan in the cafe that she was pregnant and she told Brennan that she hadn’t told Hodgins yet.

How can the creator get that wrong?

Now you have to really wonder about seeing Sweets coming out of the closet to kill the congressman back in the Goragon season.

4. Marisa Roffman on September 28th, 2010 8:46 pm

@MMsonoma: I believe he meant in the original version of the script. That scene he mentioned was never filmed, so they might have added the line to explain it away.

5. gnomercy951 on September 28th, 2010 8:54 pm

@MMsonoma he meant that in the original script there was a scene where Angela told Hodgins in Paris, but the scene didn’t make it to the final cut, so they wrote it with her telling Hodgins after Brennan

I really don’t think you can be mad at Booth about the Hannah thing. He took a risk with Brennan, and she turned him down. You can’t blame him for trying to move on with his life when Brennan already told him she didn’t want anything more than friendship with him. I can see how some people saw Booth as cold in the premiere, but I think he seemed excited about Hannah and excited to share the news with his best friend.

Another thing I loved about the premiere was that you can really see how Brennan has changed. In the end when she told Caroline that she was actually the lynchpin, I saw how grateful she was Caroline pulled them back together. When Angela told Brennan she was pregnant, and I saw the excitement and love in Brennan’s eyes, and I thought back to the logical and cold season 1 Brennan. She has come so far over the years, and I think this show deserves a few more years to continue her growth until the point she realizes that she loves Booth. I hope Hart’s plan works out in the end, and gives everyone the satisfaction they deserve for sticking with this show to the end.

6. Roobecca on September 28th, 2010 9:07 pm

I love that the majority of people seem to be feeling the same thing I do. What the hell happened to Booth?!? I understand getting a girlfriend, but he should be a little hurt,when he told Bones it should have been hard for him,it should have made him sad, but instead he’s kind of a jerk! I’m glad I’m not the only one who shouted at the TV over the missing link comment… WTF WAS THAT?!? Also, I definitely felt there was something off with the David/Emily chemistry. They’ve both said before how into the characters they are so maybe they went method and didn’t speak during the break,but something was definitely wrong. Maybe Booth is heading towards jerk territory so that when Bones eventually calls him out on it he’ll break down again and yell at her about how much he loves her and always will. It’s just so stupid, all she needs is reassurance that he’ll always be there for her, she knows she loves him at this stage, instead he does the exact opposite. I’m so sick of the waiting, it’s too drawn out and I cant stand it anymore!
    THANK GOD CHUCK DIDNT GO DOWN THE SAME PATH!

I also feel a bit like Bones is trying to be a drama, thats where this character crap is coming from, but it’s failing miserable. The show is a nerd-comedy-procedural, there’s no serious character evolution whatsoever, ignore the genius of shows like Six Feet Under, even when you just compare it to something like Greys or Gossip Girl, character development is just awful. I just don’t care about any of the side characters, they’re just there, Angela and Hodgkins just really feel like a BB stall tatic to me,they always have,and at this stage they probably always will. Everyone is so bleugh, even Sweets, who I’m pretty sure I’d adore if he was on any other show! It just all feels so stilted, Booth and Brennan individually don’t seem to be making any progress to me. Look at Angel, and how much he evolved and bettered himself over five seasons. Now look at Booth. He’s the same guy. Season six actually seems to be making him a smaller person, a jerk who took a step backwards. ENOUGH ALREADY. MOVE OR GET OFF THE ROAD!

7. Shushuana on September 28th, 2010 10:34 pm

I personally don’t think Booth was being cold or uncaring. I just think that Booth being a man took Brennan at her word when she said it was great he found someone. Very obvious since he didn’t stop talking about the journalist. He is a guy he is just like every other guy out there. Brennan made it clear at the end of last season that she was not going to wait for him and did not expect Booth to wait for her. Of course Brennan being Brennan thought logically not emotionally. She figured Booth being male he would not be able to help himself so she gave him permission ahead of tine so Booth would go out and find someone else since she thought she didn’t need to have a Christian type marriage relationship with Him. Basically I think Brennan is now realising she loves Booth and not just logically or physically. She is all discom-boobilated with these feelings Also whats up with her dad and brother? Any other new surprises to look forward to this season hints?

8. Linda on September 28th, 2010 10:40 pm

Good interview, I loved Tj’s quote, but there was some false information at the beginning. Hart said that the reason we didn’t see the initial reaction from Jack when he found out Angela was pregnant was because she told him in Paris. Well in the episode, when Angela tells Brennan she says that she hasn’t even told Hodgins yet. Plus, the way TJ played the scene it sounded like he just found out like a couple of minutes ago, so yeah, not good enough for me. And they should totally go ahead and shoot that scene of Hodgins and Angela in Paris with the fig leaf. That would make a lot of fans REALLY happy.

9. Tracy on September 28th, 2010 10:55 pm

I love Bones I am curious though. Did anyone, writers or producers, do any research before filming the Afghan sequence with Booth as a “civilian” working with/for the army? Civilians working for the army usually are not issued/allowed to use weapons. They are “smothered” by the Geneva Convention rules. Not going into that, now. Booth had rank and unit insignia which means he was enlisted again. Civilians do not wear either. Where the rank goes, a tab with civilian on it would denote his status. If he were carrying a weapon and he was labeled civilian, a lot of questions would come up. As for his insignia, everyone wearing that, has tan equipment and no patches in a combat zone. Very disappointed in your lack of research but not surprised. If Hollywood would do better in its research, then shows or movies, like The Hurt Locker, would be authentic. Still, I love Bones so I am for one am willing to overlook shoddy research.

10. Eller on September 29th, 2010 1:05 am

I loved the show and I can wait for the two of them to get together it gives me more to look forward to because every week they are going to solve a case, but to wait and see who make the frist move to go beyond a kiss is what keep me tuned in and to see if he measure to what her expectations.

11. Sharon on September 29th, 2010 1:20 am

My sister, her daughter and a couple friends first got me interested in Bones last fall .. I just did not watch TV much at all. After seeing season 1 on DVD, I was hooked and couldn’t wait for season 2 to arrive. I have now watched every episode many times over and I must say, this is the most brilliant show ever! I agree with everyone who has said Brennan and Booth need to get together as a couple this season. The tension has been fun but is now overdone. Personally, I would have totally changed the end of the 100th episode and had them together then. Get them together this season, throw hints out there of a huge wedding coming next year, (weddings seem to really bring in the viewers!) .. do this, and you will have your 7th and 8th seasons, Mr. Hart. 🙂 Maybe even the 9th … maybe some Bones movies.

If any show could get a couple together and make the ratings soar, instead of killing the ratings .. it would be Bones. Never have I seen such brilliance in a TV show.

12. conni on September 29th, 2010 10:15 am

the season opener was a giant disappointment there was no emotion to it. i don’t want to see the girlfriend angle unless she’s going to be a dead body to investigate after she dumps booth because he is in love with bones.

13. Dawn on September 29th, 2010 2:17 pm

I watch an episode of Bones every chance I get. In fact, TNT has reruns each day and I watch no matter if I have seen the episode a week ago. I am addicted as one of the other fans said. I love Brennan and Bones, Hodgins and Angela, Sweets, Zack, Max (Brennan’s dad), Russ, her brother and Miss Julian. Zack is by far Brennan’s best assistant and the writers should find someway of bringing him back. The other assistants have been okay but there has been something missing every since Zack was hospitalized. I totally miss the “king of the lab” camaraderie between Zack and Hodgins; it was a highlight of every show to me. I must take up for how Booth is coming off as a cad since he has only been gone for seven months and comes back “in love.” Brennan rejected him (in his eyes) and he felt like there was no future in his unrequited love for her and when he told her he had to move on, she didn’t argue. Life in a war-torn country must be a harrowing experience in the fact that you don’t know if you might meet death around the next corner and when he meets Hannah, she takes his mind off the destruction around him. Since Brennan hadn’t contacted him in the months they have been apart, he feels she has gone on with her life and so should he. He is attracted to Hannah because she is a beautiful, vibrant woman (very much like Brennan) and she feels an attraction to him because…because Booth is a handsome man and what red-blooded woman wouldn’t be attracted to all that. They can share life in the difficult surroundings and he (like many far away from home) starts having thoughts of “love” for her. The premiere episode didn’t indicate he had asked her to come to DC, she just shows up (second episode). Yes, he acted as if Hannah was his “new” love, but it came off to me as too over zealous. He wanted people to think he had moved on a little too much. I truthfully think he didn’t want to hurt Brennan but in his heart, he hoped she would be a little jealous. Did you note how when Hannah shows up at the diner how he rushes her out? Brennan will attempt to be happy that Booth has found someone to make him happy like Booth tried to be happy when she almost left with Sully but when all the smoke clears, true love will reign, just like in all the other side relationships for both of them. Besides Parker likes Brennan and I see him not taking to Hannah. I see that Hannah will start seeing Sweets to try to figure out the B&B relationship and they will find they have a mutual attraction for each other. Sweets needs someone other than Daisy (where is a fun relationship, Daisy is rather ditsy) and Hannah could possibly be that person. So being the addicted person, I am for Bones and no mater how frustrated I get (love never runs smooth), I will continue to watch and enjoy the progression of story (and like most everyone else I want Brennan and Booth together soon), and hopefully there will be a seventh and eighth and beyond seasons because I can think of many scenarios for B&B while they are getting together and after.

14. rangers on September 29th, 2010 3:46 pm

All I have to say is “wow… what a load of crap.” Everyone knows damn well that Booth re-enlisted into the Military & had all sorts of rank & qualifications (Airborne, Special Forces, Rangers, NCO, etc insignia). If he was not in the Military then he wouldn’t be in uniform.
    All of the “spoilers” are misleading & that’s not cool. They know damn well what their intentions are not only for Brennan & Booth but for the whole series as well. All these games are getting old.. seriously. Take a look at all of the past comments, tweets, etc & they prove my point!
    Overall the show’s great. The actors/actresses are fantastic, the writing is top notch but the facts & continuous errors are getting ridiculous. There are people who’s jobs’ are to check facts & get things right the first time but it’s just sloppy, careless in that aspect. How hard is it to double check… c’now now.

15. Kathy Dowden on September 29th, 2010 4:01 pm

I agree with Hart Hanson, I did not at all get that Booth was trying to hurt Brennan in any way. If anything, I think he (if he was real), was nervous about telling her about Hannah and wanted to get it over with quickly — like ripping a band aid off. Remember, she rejected him and did not even admit to him that she loved him so he would have no way of knowing that she held feelings for him at all. I also thought the very beginning of the scene was interesting. Brennan looked way more excited to see him and he looked a little nervous. She had tears in her eyes and hugged him first. Booth broke the hug before she did. I don’t think Brennan expected anything to change in their time away and I even think she was perhaps ready to tell him she missed him and wanted to explore something, but then the Hannah news came and she, the master at hiding emotions, tried to show nothing. Hart Hanson is also right in noting that Emily Deschanel is brilliant at showing the flicker of emotion and then it’s gone. She looked stunned and sad but only for a moment. Then she gets up and tries to bolt — a typical Brennan reaction — run.

As to the other part of the interview, I understand the desire for the producers to keep the couple apart, but I think they need to be very careful. Based on other tweets and facebook posts, a lot of viewers feel either jerk around and manipulated or just plain bored and sad by the lack of connection. And I really don’t think viewers just want to see them in bed or if that is even necessary. They are such a sweet and adorable couple. They make viewers happy. People tend to tune into shows like Bones to feel happy, to escape. They don’t want sad, real life star crossed romance stories that drag on for too long. The romantic tension of seasons 3 and 4 was cute and fun, but once the 100th episode happened the tension ended and it just became sad. Now with Hannah, all hope seems gone for the near future. Viewers might abandon ship. They already know that more people watch the show for the characters and not the procedural stuff (which has also gotten kind of flat and weak). If Hanson really wants to go for 2 more seasons after this, he should get them together sooner than later and have fun story lines with them as a couple. Tons of material there I am sure.

16. Sharon on September 29th, 2010 4:36 pm

Nail on the head! Thanks to Kathy Dowden:

17. Tiffany on September 30th, 2010 3:07 am

They seem to be so worried about getting B&B together and the show ending because of it, but do they not realize that there is a very real possibility that the show may end with season 6 because they haven’t gotten B&B together. At this point, for me, it isn’t even about getting them together, it’s about the lack of chemistry in everything I have seen from the new episodes. I am hoping that that will change but there is a good chance that this will be the end.

18. Gary on September 30th, 2010 5:44 pm

Since because of Booth’s new love interest Bones is going to revaluate her relationship w/him, I have an idea. Bring Inspector Prichert to the States from Scotland Yard. She would be here on some kind of case that somehow ties into what Booth and Temperence are working on at the time. Oh, and don’t kill her off, she could be useful in subsequesnt episodes.

19. bonescrazy on October 4th, 2010 3:43 pm

I’ll tell you right off the bat! I’m areal big Booth and Brennan Fan. I was was disappointed when Brennan rejected Booth in the100th episode, Since she was away from him for 7 months she realized how much he meant to her. In the 100th episode she was scared of being abandoned again. I hope something will happen that gets back together soon. Please have mercy on us fans,ok?

20. Tricia on October 6th, 2010 8:02 pm

Okay, I’m a new fan of the show here. I watched the first five seasons VERY quickly so I could watch season 6 real-time. I absolutely fell in love with it. I love the characters, I love the concept, I love the “formula” (part character-driven stuff and part procedural), it’s quickly become one of my favorite shows. I too was a little nervous about the first two episodes (Don’t even get me STARTED on the “missing link” comment). But, I noticed for the first few episode of every new season, things seemed a little off. I got scared for every premiere, but they always found their feet again. I’m willing to wait a few episodes for the “mojo” to come back. That said, if we’re more than say, five episodes in and I still don’t feel like my beloved Booth and Bones (together or not) are back, I might abandon ship.

21. bonescrazy on November 20th, 2010 8:16 pm

22. bonescrazy on November 20th, 2010 8:20 pm

I hope Parker has a less than positive reaction to Hannah, and this instrumental to the Booth and Hannah break up!!!! Sorry of another repeat , but you know how I feel about Hannah!!!!

23. yynikkijamest3 on June 16th, 2011 3:06 am